Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Confusion with an unreputable person of the same name

Registered
    Nov 2002

Confusion with an unreputable person of the same name

Here's my issue . . . I have a pretty uncommon name and I live in a small state. I have a distant relative I've never met with the same first and last name who lives in the same city as me. Unfortunately this guy was all over the news a few years ago for going nuts and holding his family hostage at gunpoint (it ended safely). When you google my name you get the usual planning minutes, etc. but you also get news footage and articles of this guy's meltdown. To make it worse none of the news footage has good views of his face so its not obvious he's a different person.

Obviously this is a concern for me in applying for any future jobs. I imagine potential employers being turned off at the notion of an unstable, gun-toting employee after a 5 second google search. Do you think its advisable to bring this up during an interview (if I even get that far) or would that seem a little nuts in of itself? I want to have a footnote on the bottom of my resume that reads "I'm not the crazy Seabishop - please believe me."

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Off-topic:
    Same town, same name association but opposite scenario - the other was Cardiothoracic Surgeon.
    to the point I was getting some of his mail.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Add your middle initial or name (ideally, not a match with Rogue! Seabishop) to your resume.

After a big public incident, an acquaintance started using his unique first name (Owen) rather than what he'd done previously (initials, his middle name is a "J").

I wouldn't worry about the 5-second search effects. If a future HR department grabs these results, they'll continue looking for verification. Also, make your own results on LinkedIn.

HTH

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Another thing to do is to create a bunch of social websites with your name and keep them active - the most active sites in your name are the ones that stay on the first page of a google site - so LinkedIn, a professional facebook, a professional twitter, a Wordpress blog, even Pintrest or Tumblr, and post on all of them once a week so that first google page is all you! The big boys in social media pay big bucks to rank high in Google searches, so take advantage of their investment.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Wow, the evil twin from soap stories does exist!

My best advice would be to put your linked in account on your resume and follow LPs advice.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had a friend in a somewhat similar situation. He did much of what others mentioned. He also would do one of a couple of things:

Some applications would ask about being convicted of a felony or if anything negative would show in a background check. He had a set paragraph he would paste in explaining the situation. If that option wasn't available, he would add a "Notes for Background Check" on his resume (always a separate page) or include a separate document with a brief statement. Sometimes he would just call the HR person to explain shortly after submitting.

He actually thinks it helped him get a job once because it made for a relatively humorous icebreaker in the interview.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Graduate/Masters admission confusion
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Jun 2014, 12:07 PM
  2. Morning person or night person?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 18 Jul 2012, 8:31 AM
  3. Traffic calming by confusion in Europe
    Transportation Planning