Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does your development dept have one main contact?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Does your development dept have one main contact?

Does your development review process begin/end with one contact for the developer or do you require the developer to go to each authority on their own? For example, in come cities you submit your plans to a Planner and he gets prelim feedback from fire, sewer, engineering, etc and gives the developer a list of things to change. In other areas the developer goes to fire, sewer, engineering on his own and gets comments independently.

Which do you do and which do you prefer?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I use the one planner contact point and it works for me. I figure part of my job is to help people through the process.

My last city decided to use a permit tech as the point of contract. Way to piss off all the professionals. Your contact point really has to have some knowledge of the whole process and why each dept. is saying what it's saying.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Dark Side Perspective: Having a single point of contact makes *so* much more sense. You would not believe the number of municipalities in which engineering, building, fire, etc are not in sync with one another or aware of the ways in which their comments conflict with one another. A planner in one community in particular loves to throw the monkey and say 'You'll have to talk to Building about that". This does the profession a disservice IMO. Siloes suck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Agreed. That's the reason why project managers exist and a fully trained, thoughtful, responsive PM is very valuable.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Mar 2015, 9:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Feb 2014, 8:18 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Dec 2013, 12:20 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Mar 2004, 8:10 PM
  5. US Dept of Justice Lurker!
    Friday Afternoon Club