Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Trajectory Question

Registered
    Oct 2016

Planning Trajectory Question

Hi,

I'm applying for a job as a transit planner for a mostly rural bus system. The supplemental questionnaire asks me to provide examples of my experience with traditional and expanded planning trajectory. In my 3 years of transit planning experience I have never heard this term, and a google search wasn't much help. The only information about planning trajectories seemed to be in relation to train physics, with no mention of traditional or expanded types.

Any idea what this question is asking?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    wow - yes, that is the craziest planning term ever!

I would somewhat ignore the term and assume they want examples of your work and leave it at that - they likely want you to show you are up to date on the latest in transit planning, beyond TDM, that is

if you get hired and after your probationary period, ask them what the hell that meant

sounds like a hipster place so make sure that culture works for you

Registered
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the advice! Its great to know that I'm not alone in wondering what this means...I will definitely ask if I am hired.

I'm trying to differentiate this from other experience-based questions they ask. Would it be reasonable to assume that "trajectory" refers to long range planning, and "expanded" refers to innovative solutions? Thats about the only conclusion I can come up with.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by sammoff View post

I'm trying to differentiate this from other experience-based questions they ask. Would it be reasonable to assume that "trajectory" refers to long range planning, and "expanded" refers to innovative solutions? Thats about the only conclusion I can come up with.
    Yes, that's a safe bet - good luck! Post how it goes!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My only guess is they might be talking about short term and long term plans. A city I worked for had a 3 year improvement plan, 5 year plan, and of course the 20 year long range plan. I'm assuming the 3/5 year plans are traditional trajectories and the 20 year is an expanded trajectory.

Do you know anyone in the same city, county, or state that might know what they're talking about? Maybe it's some regional term.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Thanks for the advice! Its great to know that I'm not alone in wondering what this means...I will definitely ask if I am hired.

I use the word trajectory when I'm playing World of Warships, not when I'm the Director of Planning and Zoning. So, I think you are safe in your assumption. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    I would call the HR department and ask - you're right, that language is confusing.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like what other Cyburbians have said.

My only twist on trajectory beyond just "future" is understanding different assumptions/inputs into alternative modelling scenarios ?

how is that for wonky talk.

Registered
    Oct 2016
    Thanks all for the input. I submitted my application last week, touching on short and long range planning under different growth/cost scenarios based on your comments. Apparently I answered it well enough to land an interview!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thanks all for the input. I submitted my application last week, touching on short and long range planning under different growth/cost scenarios based on your comments. Apparently I answered it well enough to land an interview!
    Congrats! I wouldn't ask at the interview what they meant unless you need clarification while they hammer the questions at you. Make it look like you knew the whole time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    In all my years in this field, I've never heard the term "trajectory" used this way within the planning lexicon.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    Good luck, and like others have said let us know how it goes.

If it doesn't work out, I know of a small city bus system in desperate need of a transit planner!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Jul 2009, 3:18 PM
  3. Neighborhood planner shelf-life/trajectory
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jan 2008, 4:24 PM
  4. Planning or Policy? THAT'S THE QUESTION.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Jun 2005, 6:58 PM
  5. California Planning Question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jun 2003, 5:24 PM