Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wannabe planner...no experience!

Registered
    Sep 2008

Wannabe planner...no experience!

Hi all,

I'm interested in pursuing a planning/design career. thing is...i have a BA in polisci with no relevant experience. looking at urban planning curriculums, i'm not sure if thats the path i want to take. i think i'm more interested in design and architecture.

that being said, i'm not willing to go back for another BA, and i realize i'm not eligible for any M.Arch programs. whats the best way to go about this? a certificate of some kind?

thanks

Registered
    Nov 2005
    and i realize i'm not eligible for any M.Arch programs
    not true--you'll just be on the longer track--typically about 3.5 years. yes, some schools do not offer M.Arch to those in your position, but many do.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I believe another option is to enroll in a Landscape architecture program. You can get into some LArch programs without formal design background. However, this will still take 3 or more years.

Anyone care to offer their opinion on which is better for urban design?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I think LA is closer to urban design - but some firms won't look at you unless you have an architecture degree.

Registered
    Oct 2008
    what about gis? that is designed based with analysis, and your degree would suit that. you can get certified in gis at the masters level or even get a associates in gis.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jay1 View post
    that being said, i'm not willing to go back for another BA, and i realize i'm not eligible for any M.Arch programs. whats the best way to go about this? a certificate of some kind?
    Depending on your grades, you might be able to make it into a graduate planning program at a second-tier school. When I was attending SUNY/University at Buffalo, the majority of planning grad students had an undergrad in planning or geography, but there were some students from other backgrounds; political science, public affairs, economics, and even English.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

"second tier school"

I'm pretty sure if he had a competitive academic record, great statement of purpose, great recommendations and adequate GRE, he could make it into most (but not all) 'tier 1s'. Only a couple of the top schools I'm applying mention planning experience as a significant portion of the incoming students.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Dec 2013, 1:01 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Aug 2009, 6:05 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2006, 5:39 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Sep 2005, 3:32 PM
  5. Wannabe planner
    Student Commons