Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Back to College lifestyle?

Registered
    May 2002

Back to College lifestyle?

I'm curious how many of you have had to go into situations where you've had to leave behind everything you've built up and go back to your college days?

I'm moving from Michigan to Kentucky. My wife and family are behind and getting the house ready to sell. I'm down here in a week-to-week efficiency. I cooked three out of the four nights this week, all in an electric fry pay and all involving hamburger. The night I made actual burgers, I used bread, not buns. I'm sleeping on a camping cot, not my comfy bed back in Michigan.

What I feel like is that I'm living the strage dual life. By day, I'm fitting into a new professional office and getting used to new responsiblities. By night, I'm listening to the radio because I don't even have my TV yet and eating Hamburger Helper.

The thing is, except for missing my family, I'm having a blast!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hey Brian (I mean, Coragus) -- I was is so many low-paying planning jobs in my 20's that it was really an extention of college because i couldn't afford anything! I did move back to Michigan after marrying my Canadian husband and lived in a small apartment working for *large Michigan firm* , which was somewhat subsistance living after enjoying the Canadian high rise condo lifestyle with a view of the lake.

And we did just pack up the family and move to Illinois giving up a very fabulous lifestyle in the most beautiful downtown with hundreds of friends and even park dates with YOUR family to move to the Chicago 'burbs. It was the hardest year of my life - getting adjusted to a new place where i had no friends (other than work colleagues). It's still hard!!

So here's to hoping that you'll sell your house fast and you and your wife and little Coragus can move down quickly. How did you get the wife to allow you to move? I thought she was forever staying in our former town!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I went through this about two years ago when I moved up to Ottawa for a new job while Mrs. Tranplanner stayed behind for about two months to wrap up her job, find a new one, and be there while the house was up for sale. My first two weeks I stayed with family, who were actually on vacation for most of that time. It was really odd coming home to an empty house that was not mine. After a few weeks I got an apartment and had about a month of sleeping on an air mattress, eating over the sink and sitting on a milk crate...while playing xbox on the new bigscreen TV I decided I needed (paid for with vacation payout from previous job).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am hoping to do this soon as well, unless the economy gets in the way.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    One of my career changes involved moving from Michigan to Iowa. There were still 6 weeks of school left for my older son and a house to be sold. I had been re-married for less than a year and left my new bride with her new step-son to finish school and try to sell the house. I moved to Des Moines where I lived in an apartment that was furnished only with a stove and refrigerator. Other than my clothes, I had a radio, a barstool, and a foam mattress on the floor for a bed. It was very strange to go to work in a three-piece suit looking very professional for several hours and then come home to living on the floor.

When the school year ended, I went back to Michigan to the still unsold house and loaded up the essentials for the rest of the family in a u-haul trailer while a moving company took everything else to a storage facility in Des Moines. Because it was a transitional move to Dallas, most of our possessions stayed in storage for almost a year before we saw them again. The early 80's were a tough time in the Michigan economy and we were in Dallas before the house finally sold.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    My college lifestyle was staying up till 6 in the morning every night and sleeping in until 12 pm then waking up scrounging for asprin and trying to figure out what happened or where I was. I don't think that would work anymore.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    How did you get the wife to allow you to move? I thought she was forever staying in our former town!
    Hey, hi there! Hope everything is going well for you.

I lost my job in December 2007. By July, I'd had to get an extension on unemployment and I just put it to Mrs. Coragus and talked about how nothing was going on in Michigan anymore. Heck, I couldn't even get an interview. So, I got an approved list of states that I could send remumes to.

This area is one that she's very familiar with and she's glad to be moving down here, if we can find a house we agree on. Until then, I'm in the effiency I mentioned. I moved into that with as much stuff as I could get into my Saturn Ion. I'll bring more down this weekend.

Interesting to note that 6 people have posted to this thread and 3 of them moved FROM Michigan.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A few years ago I moved from Wisconsin to Colorado for a job. For about four months I lived in a hotel room while I looked for a new home and got settled into the job. I had a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. Sometimes I would pull out my backpacking stove to make a dinner. It was very much like living in the dorms, except the bed was bigger, there was a private bathroom, and I had maid service.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think someone on this board termed it being an "economic refugee". It's so sad that you had to move -- what a beautiful place to move away from (we're actually visiting H next weekend for a bit of vacation). I was in Michigan for 12 years and I loved every minute of it. I'm getting used to Chicago-metro, but for god's sake, would someone plant some trees around here?

I think you're probably moving to an equally scenic place. I wish you the best of luck getting settled in and making new friends. You'll be wearing out I-75 on the trips back home, I'm sure. Are you going home every weekend? You probably couldn't leave the little guy for that long...I know I couldn't!

In the meantime, try to enjoy being a semi-bachelor again. When my kids are fighting and my husband is honked off at me, I have fleeting dreams of living in a small apartment alone: tending to my plants, CD collection, and used book store collection of literature.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I'll leave the lights on for ya!

Having lived in three places that are not Michigan, and gotten extremely homesick (also Freep-sick, bottle bill-sick, etc), I returned. And if my job tanked, I would find yet another career so that I can stay.

Brother's in Houston. I like visiting Texas (a whole other country). Not moving.

One sis (the doctor) was in Chicagoland. I camped at her place when my contract job sent me there. Didn't move.

Another sis is in Dayton, was in Cincinnati. Both have been nice places to visit. (She was going off about how GR is "even more cold and snowy than the Detroit area," having not looked at my ski rack in the garage.) Ohio has been a nice place to visit (mostly on the GIBA bicycle tour) but the guy I was engaged to lived there. Plus I was in both of our local Big Ten marching bands...

Come on back when you can. I'll save ya a Faygo and a handy map.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I now live the college lifestyle at the ripe old age of 34. My daughter does too at the tender age of 15. Since I have managed to do nearly everything in reverse order in my life I guess it is par for the course.

We don't mind so much though. We have some of our furniture with us but we've embraced the challenge if trying to live minimally for the past couple of years and it's paid off in a lot of ways. You quickly get down to what is truly important.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 22 Jan 2013, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Sep 2010, 10:11 PM
  4. What lifestyle do you want to live?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 3:38 PM