Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thoughts on NYU RE

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Thoughts on NYU RE

Met with admissions today and got a so-so feeling about the caliber of the curriculum. 42 credits full time seems like it could easily be achieved in 1.5 years. However, I do like the fact that it is heavily geared towards finance, as it could be a good substitute to a MBA. Which is most likely overwhelmingly competitive considering massive lay-offs in the finance.

The GMAT rankings seemed low to the point where i question their starting salary of upwards of 100k.

Any graduates on this board? Or those who are applying?

Would like to start a discussion on this program.

Registered
    May 2008

NYU RE

I have posted on the previous MSRE thread, so not sure that this will provide much in the way of new information, but I'll join in the conversation to see if it starts things moving...

I am currently in the program - about half-way through the Masters and attending part-time while working full-time.

You're right that if you go full-time you can finish the 42 hours (14 classes) in three full semesters plus the intervening summer. While the majority of students attend part-time, taking one or two classes at a time, it seems to me that there is a larger number of full-time students. Purely anecdotal, but from just talking to people in my classes so far this semester it does seem like there are a fair number of formerly-employed or under-employed students who have decided to swich from part-time to full-time.

While the program is generally recognized as one of the strongest in the country in terms of real estate finance training, I think it's a stretch to say that it can substitute for an MBA from a top-10 or 20 school. If you're comparing it to a second-teir MBA then I think the degree can hold its own. But I agree with previous posts that an MBA is generally the better degree because it provides more flexibility and recognition.

Both the GMAT ranking and the salary numbers are decieving because so many people in the program are already working in the industry. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the average salary of working students in the program is around 100K, so it doesn't seem a stretch to me to think that the average salary of grads is at that number, too. Also, because a fair number of students enter the program through the certificate program, there is a "back door" that allows you to avoid providing standardized test scores. The school is trying to tighten that opening, increasing the requirements for moving from certificate to masters program, but it certainly still affects historic numbers.

What would be really helpful is to hear from recent grads who came into the program with limited experience about where they were hired and what they are making. Anecdotally I know people are (or at least were until last semester) finding jobs at very reputable firms, but I don't know what the salaries looked like.

Final caveat - this program demands diligence in terms of who you select for your classes. You can have a vastly different experience in any given class depending on which professor you select. To me, that might be the biggest weakness of the program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Great response.

Completely understandable that the salaries for any "SCPS" program will have a large spectrum. Some students have been in the business longer than other students have been alive.

I am 24 and applying for the upcoming Fall. I would absolutely be interested to see where fresh graduates end up upon completing the program. I have no experience in Real Estate or Finance, but I am transitioning from architecture. For some programs, such as Columbia, this is helpful, however NYU, maybe not so much.

To take my hopeful scenario....
    -Full Time Student (not working during interim)
    -No RE / Finance exp.
    -B. Arch Undergrad
    -2 years + 3 years internships as an architect
    -LEED Accredited

Not sure where this would leave me upon graduating the NYU program at the age of 25... surely not in the 100k range....

Registered
    Dec 2008

Interest in NYU

BDH,

I am also a prospective student for the Program in Real estate at NYU, and I was wondering if I could get some advice from you in terms of admittance into the program. Is it possible to email you directly?

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm a NYU real estate grad, and I commented on my experience a few months ago.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...=33461&page=10

See posts 231, 239 & 242.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thanks jtmnkri,

I am in the process of completing my applications now, and will hope to get them out by the end of the week. I do like the NYU program because of the curriculum, and I think I can learn a lot from the professors who are seemlingly mostly industry professionals.

I know I do not know you, but I was wondering if I could email you personally to get some insight from you. I am in the process of writing my personal statement, and it would be great if someone who actually went to the school can tell me if they think that what I have to say about my professional experiences will fit what the program offersDo you think it would be possible to email you directly? I'm not sure how to do it on cyburbia, since I have not made many posts, but I can give you my email address.

smendezfamu@gmail.com

Any input with the essay would be really really appreciated.

Thanks again for responding and I hope to hear from you soon.

Does anyone have any insight regarding the Baruch (CUNY) MS in Real Estate?

http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/facul.../ms-realestate

It is similar in curriculum to the NYU program, but obviously doesn't have the same cache or network.

I am considering it as an alternative to the NYU program due to cost. The NYU program will run about $4,500 per course, whereas the Baruch course will run about $1,500 per course.

Keep in mind I already have a Masters Degree in City Planning, so I would like to keep costs down.

My thinking is if someone is an active member of the NYC ULI Council, you would gain access to a similar network as the NYU students in the MS RE program.

Thanks for any information anyone can share.
    Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

MADE

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Your thoughts on fur
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Nov 2012, 10:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2009, 4:31 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 7:48 PM
  4. Your thoughts: MUP programs