Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: Gas will drop below $2.00/gallon before going up again

Prediction: Gas will drop below $2.00/gallon before going up again

I predict that sometime over the next few months gas will drop below $2.00/gallon in some markets.

It's already in the $2.70s and $2.80s in parts of Oklahoma and Missouri.

The U.S. average price will bottom out at about at about $2.40 but some markets will be below $2.00.

Of course, most of us will be out of a job by then, so even at $1.99, it will be less affordable than $4.00 gas was when we still had jobs.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We're still in the low $3 range here. I don't have much hope that it will go below that anytime soon.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2002
    Mrs. Coragus came from mid-Michigan to see me this weekend. She filled up before leaving at $3.97/gallon. I filled up yesterday in Lexington. I paid $3.55/gallon. The day that gas hits $2.00/gallon is the day that we've developed a commercially viable alternative to gasoline and the demand goes away.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Mrs. Coragus came from mid-Michigan to see me this weekend. She filled up before leaving at $3.97/gallon. I filled up yesterday in Lexington. I paid $3.55/gallon. The day that gas hits $2.00/gallon is the day that we've developed a commercially viable alternative to gasoline and the demand goes away.
    It was $3.05 in Fremont, OH on Saturday. Probably cheaper by a really big highway.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

$3.40 on the west side of MI this evening

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    I predict that sometime over the next few months gas will drop below $2.00/gallon in some markets.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Oh, that was a good one!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll likely be making a cross-country drive in November, so I can at least dream of two buck gas along the way. The last time I made such a trip, gas was still in the $1.25/gallon range. Yup, the good 'ol days ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife, who works in the energy industry, keeps telling me that their analysts keep saying that gas will be back down to the low $2 range before the end of winter. I reply that she works with a bunch of morons but I would (sort of) love to be proven wrong.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Gas is still above $4.00 a gallon in central Chicago. The price does drop quite a bit the farther out you go.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've seen it as low as $3.18 in Detroit.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Upstate NY prices are still around $3.60. i don't think it will ever get back to $2/gal.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We just went to $2.99....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Gas is still above $4.00 a gallon in central Chicago. The price does drop quite a bit the farther out you go.
    Well, with the land costs that you can see if someone like Donald Trump can open his checkbook and buy the station to build yet another tall building, no wonder. And then you have all of those essentially captive taxicabs and delivery vehicles....

What is it now in Manhattan (imagining that someday they'll have to start going to Parisian-style curbside fuel pumps)?

BTW, it's now in the $3.30s here in the Appleton area.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Upstate NY prices are still around $3.60. i don't think it will ever get back to $2/gal.
    I didn't say it would hit $2 everywhere. Places like Chicago, Connecticut and the West Coast will always be well above average. I'm just saying that the price per gallon is likely to hit $2 in places like Missouri and Oklahoma which consistantly run 30 to 50 cents below the national average.

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    When I visit my friends in Madison (from Toledo) I always make sure I fill up in Central Indiana. You don't want to buy gas anywhere near Chicago if you can avoid it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    As of 11:00 central time, gas was at $3.50 a gallon nationally.

I doubt gas will ever hit $3.00 again.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    As of 11:00 central time, gas was at $3.50 a gallon nationally.

I doubt gas will ever hit $3.00 again.
    Gas is now $3.09 at Obama Gas Station on Detroit's west side. Yes I said Obama, the person who owns it has changed the name and signage because of the election. He is a big supporter.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Well, with the land costs that you can see if someone like Donald Trump can open his checkbook and buy the station to build yet another tall building, no wonder. And then you have all of those essentially captive taxicabs and delivery vehicles....

What is it now in Manhattan (imagining that someday they'll have to start going to Parisian-style curbside fuel pumps)?

BTW, it's now in the $3.30s here in the Appleton area.

Mike
    The ones I'm picturing that I go by frequently aren't even downtown. There's a Mobil across from Cabrini Green that always seems to be amongst the most expensive I observe. Of course that's sort of a weird area with all the new development taking place within blocks with the crumbling projects litterally across the street.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Gas is now $3.09 at Obama Gas Station on Detroit's west side. Yes I said Obama, the person who owns it has changed the name and signage because of the election. He is a big supporter.
    Any chance you can get a picture of that? That is really funny!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Here is a link to the newspaper with a photo: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS15/80925080

Registered
    Mar 2007
    That station has been on both the Fox and NBC affiliates here and I think I caught it on CNN Headline News the other day too. I cannot believe the publicity that this has generated.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Spotted the first $2.99/gallon cash OR credit gas today at the WaWa 'round here.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Saw the first $2.99.9 gas around here, too, at three stations at the corner of Cedar Road and Green Road in South Euclid/University Heights, Ohio.

clevelandgasprices.com shows a lot of places that are far below $3.00, but they're all in the western suburbs. For some reason, gas in the eastern suburbs is usually more expensive than the rest of Northeast Ohio. I've heard it explained as the combination of upper income suburbs against distressed Cleveland and East Cleveland 'hoods; the rich folks can afford to pay more, and the poor folks are more prone to driveoffs.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

The national average price for a gallon of gas has dropped almost 25 cents during the past week. It is now $3.27 a gallon. Some places in Oklahoma are selling gas for under $2.50/gallon.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I paid $2.98 a gallon last night in metro Detroit.

It was the first time since March 3, 2008 that I paid under $3.00 a gallon.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Impact Of $10/Gallon Gas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 27 Feb 2012, 6:33 PM
  2. Gas drops below $3.00/gallon
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 02 Oct 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Replies: 10