Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for a creative borderline art program in planning/design.

Registered
    Oct 2008

Looking for a creative borderline art program in planning/design.

Ok, so I have B.S. in Planning with a concetration in tourism development, and I also just finished a Grad Cert. in Urban Planning and Sustainable Development that was part of a Master's program. But lately I've been looking for a Grad or even an undergrad program that is very design oriented and could be considered a bordeline art program but yet still be related to urban design and or landscape architecture. I guess somewhere along the lines of graphic design, sculpture, or even maybe industrial design. Overall I just want to find a creative, artistic based program that somehow includes the urban design realm.... if that even exist, or even makes sense. Anyways, suggestions or input would be awesome. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What exactly do you want to do with this training?

Registered
    Oct 2008
    To be honest since I'm still somewhat of a recent grad and I haven't had much professional experience, I'm not exactly sure what I would do with that type of training, but I do know a few architecture/planning/design firms that hire people with art backgrounds, and graphic design backgrounds who also have some planning education.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Some larger firms hire or contract illustrators who do renderings for boards. TSW in Atlanta has a staff illustrator. Many of these illustrators will have an art degree or coursework in rendering. They don't do the design work, just the final illustration boards. If you are more interested in the visual aspects of design, I would cough up the money and sign up for a 1 or 2 week Mike Lin workshop. It is a good workshop, although a landscape architect in my office knows him personally and says that he exploits alot of the students for the workshop, drawing materials, etc.).

The 2 week session is a bootcamp and you will be working a grueling 16-18 hours a day in studio for 2 weeks (not kidding). I am considering going to the 1 or 2 week course down the road before pursuing an MLA. You will DEFINETELY have a good portfolio coming out. However, the course teaches how to render not how to create the drawings from scratch.

www.beloose.com.

Registered
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the info on that! That program looks pretty amazing. You weren't joking about coughing up some dough.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Aug 2013, 11:01 PM
  2. School: McGill McGill urban design program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Oct 2011, 12:01 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Jun 2010, 9:56 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 11:04 AM