Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters thesis- transportation and land use

Masters thesis- transportation and land use

Hello everyone...

I'm starting to put together my proposal for my Masters Thesis and I need some ideas. I want to do something related to transportation and land use. Thinking about something about SB 375 in CA, but just looking for some good ideas that I could focus on. Thinking about a case study but I don’t know for sure….

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.

Cheers,

Trevor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Can you explain what the Senate Bill contains? Most of us do not live in CA or follow its laws.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

AB 32

Establishes first-in-the-world comprehensive program of regulatory and market mechanisms to
    achieve real, quantifiable, cost-effective reductions of greenhouse gases (GHG).
    Makes the Air Resources Board (ARB) responsible for monitoring and reducing GHG emissions.
    Continues the existing Climate Action Team to coordinate statewide efforts.
    Authorizes the Governor to invoke a safety valve in the event of extraordinary circumstances,
    catastrophic events or the threat of significant economic harm, for up to 12 months at a time.
    Requires ARB to:
    · Establish a statewide GHG emissions cap for 2020, based on 1990 emissions by
    January 1, 2008.
    · Adopt mandatory reporting rules for significant sources of greenhouse gases by
    January 1, 2008.
    · Adopt a plan by January 1, 2009 indicating how emission reductions will be achieved from
    significant GHG sources via regulations, market mechanisms and other actions.
    · Adopt regulations by January 1, 2011 to achieve the maximum technologically feasible and
    cost-effective reductions in GHGs, including provisions for using both market mechanisms
    and alternative compliance mechanisms.
    · Convene an Environmental Justice Advisory Committee and an Economic and Technology
    Advancement Advisory Committee to advise ARB.
    · Ensure public notice and opportunity for comment for all ARB actions.
    · Prior to imposing any mandates or authorizing market mechanisms, requires ARB to
    evaluate several factors, including but not limited to: impacts on California’s economy, the
    environment, and public health; equity between regulated entities; electricity reliability,
    conformance with other environmental laws, and to ensure that the rules do not
    disproportionately impact low-income communities.
    · Adopt a list of discrete, early action measures by July 1, 2007 that can be implemented
    before January 1, 2010 and adopt such measures.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Transportation, Land Use, and Hydrogen Infrastructure Deployment

I've been studying developments related to this Californian bill, seeing as I've been trying to promote my local city of Macomb, IL as a location for a model sustainable/hydrogen city.

Consider that the California Air Resources Board Chairperson recently said at a Reuters Environmental Summit that "The model of the 'hydrogen highway' might more accurately be termed as a 'hydrogen city... There could be some stations strung out along major highway routes, but at least in the very early stages the stations are going to more likely be in areas where people who use their cars for commuting and driving normally will be able to come back to a centralized area to get fueled up."

You might consider studying the deployment of hydrogen transportation fueling infrastructure. Note that hydrogen infrastructure will likely also go hand-in-hand with co-generation of heat and electrical power and with stationary electrical power applications.

Sources to consider include the following. One place to start for a Californian include the UC Davis Institute for Transportation Studies' Hydrogen Pathways Program, and the work of Joan Ogden. The National Hydrogen Association has some good resources, including their current and archived webinars. You may also consider Googling "hydrogen city," "hydrogen economy," and "model hydrogen city." Our National Labs such as Argonne National lab has also done some studies of hydrogen infrastructure deployment - such as in the decision and information sciences division. See their agent based modeling of hydrogen transitions studies. This is just a beginning. And if I can be of any assistance, if you're interested in this suggested topic, let me know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    I wish someone would look at northern.. Sydney? Perth? where they flipped parking miniums into parking maximums (lower than the previous minimums) and had the place turn into a thriving commercial area. But it's likely a bit far for you.
    Jennifer Dill at Portland State U did quite a bit of work in Portland recently on bicycle infrastructure, gathering a huge amount of bicycle travel data for Portland, and there might be some aspect of the data that could use examining by someone else, or maybe something in the data should be compared with a different city. She is on sabattical poring over the data now, so I don't know offhand how hard it would be to contact her.
    *shrugs* Not familiar enough with California issues offhand to have ideas there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transportation planning thesis
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jan 2012, 6:14 AM
  2. Masters thesis
    Student Commons
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Sep 2011, 9:09 PM
  3. Masters thesis
    Student Commons