Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alachua County tries transit as concurrency

Registered
    Jan 2008

Alachua County tries transit as concurrency

Gatorville decides to try using transit to meet concurrency requirement instead of continuing to just add more lanes. They want to have developers partipate in transit as mitigation (fair share) instead of using share to just add lanes. Want to sweeten the pot for developers by reducing fees for denser projects.

In the Dammend if you do & dammed if you don't department the Florida State Road Departmant (oops, The Florida Department of Transportion) has problems with that Idea.

And the developers (who typically whin about not enough density) now are concerned that "not everyone want's to live in a high rise". You can get density sufficient to make transit work w/o wall to wall high rise. Townhouse and zero lot line can provide single family with nice yards at sufficient density.

Is this a skitzoid country or what? Read all about it @

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2..._traffic_plans

Registered
    Jul 2007
    That is really interesting...I can tell you one thing, Gainesville is not interested in widening anymore roads. I finished my graduate work there not too long ago and Gainesville has a great transit system that is pretty reliable around the University area and downtown (where a large percentage of people live in Gainesville). I would go days without using my car and instead ride the bus, walk or bike around town.

I personally think that Florida's concurrency system will only lead to more roads being built instead of better transportation systems overall. I hope those FDOT people can see past their suburban mindset and give this a chance!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The old guards from the pre-ISTEA days are pretty much out of the State DOTs by now. The folks in charge now were but footsoldiers when the CAA and ISTEA challenged how we thought of transportation and its impacts. These new folks have a better understanding of these issues and the positive impacts that can be derived from TDM's, Transit, and thinking out of the box.

Meetings seem to be more focused upon how to move people and goods. When I started, it was about moving cars and trucks. There is a fundemental difference that allows for more options.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Beach Bum - Good to hear from another Gator. The G'ville transit system is one of the best in it's size class. Most planners that I know consider Florida's Concurrency system at least re: transportation) to be one of the largest sprawl inducers to come down the pike.

DP - Many of the old guard have, indeed left the FLA DOT. However, there were plenty of foot soldiers who were not really all that interested in a more progressive transportation future. Many of those have moved to the top now. In Florida, and I'm sure many other places as well, upper management is very political. And the pressure to resist change is STRONG. So while the people that attend meetings and work on plans, etc may really have a vision. The district secretaries Bureau chiefs, etc. have great power over $. And individual well placed legistatore can often have considerable "influence" over their decisions.

Because of concurrency, it is often the case that a developer will willingly put up several million $ as a proportionate share to "fix" a problem road segment. DOT knows that $8 million won't widen the segment that may run to $50 million. But the road needs widening, the local representative is pushing to get the development off the grpound and 8 million is better than nothing so let 'um pay their prop share and get on to construction ...whatever. And before you know it, the two extra lanes needed, turns into four and the first two are still not completely funded.

Over and over again.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Isn't it really DCA's sign-off that's needed, doesn't DCA trump DOT?

Registered
    Jan 2008
    In my experience, while DCA may "trump" FDOT in decisions re: comp plans, DCA gives FDOT's opinions great weight! DCA has almost not transportation expertise left and tend to pass the buck. DCA also tends to really focus on a very narrow interpritation of the Concurrency7 provisions of law (Chapter 163 FS).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2013, 10:57 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 8:54 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 2:15 PM
  4. Florida concurrency
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 27 Jun 2007, 4:26 PM