Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Movies with or about urban planners/urban planning

Registered
    Feb 2003

The Sunshine State

"A woman and her new husband returns to her hometown roots in coastal northern Florida, and must deal with family, business, and encroaching real estate development. "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286179/
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2005

The Castle

An Australian Movie (was released in the US- redubbed- not as good as the Aussie version at all) about a family who's house is located next to an airport and the airport wants to expand.

Has become a classic Australian movie- lots of one liners

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2007
    Two Weeks Notice (2002)

Millionaire real estate developer George Wade (Hugh Grant) doesn't make a move without Lucy Kelson (Sandra Bullock), his multitasking chief counsel. Now, after a year of calling the shots -- on everything from George's clothes to his divorce settlements -- Lucy is giving her two weeks' notice. Finally free of George and his 24-hour requests, Lucy is ready to change course Or is she?

Memorable quote:

George Wade: This whole project is worth about 50 million in profits.
    Ruth Kelson: No offense, but I think it's *immoral* for one person to acquire that much wealth. How do you sleep at night?
    George Wade: Well, I have a machine that simulates the sound of the ocean.
    Larry Kelson: Do those really work?
    George Wade: Oh, yes, quite well actually.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" (1989) is an interesting look at the Bed-Stuy neighborhood in Brooklyn through the lens of diversity (Majority black population, Italian's running the pizza joint, Puerto Ricans on the street corner, Korean shopkeepers, etc)
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

city form and cinematic representation

Hey all,

I am a town planning student in Western Australia, about to prepare my final dissertation, am interested to hear what people might think about this idea....

what can town planning draw from the way cities are portrayed in films?? can town planning learn from the way 'creative' popular culture thinks cities of the future will look like.

may be planning as a solely political, scientific medium needs to take into account other dimensions??

if anyone get give me some direction where i could go with this, it would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    In a Seinfeld episode, George awards a scholarship to a slacker student who wants to be an architect.

When the student changes his mind and decides to be an urban planner instead, citing architecture as a poor man's urban planning, George flies off the handle and rescinds the scholarship.

Great episode and interesting enough, I can't even count the number of architects I went to urban planning school with...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    "Volcano" (1997) was a ridiculous movie about lava in Los Angeles, and most of the film is set on Wilshire Boulevard where people are debating the construction of the extension to the subway.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    "Crash," also set in Los Angeles, explores the socioeconomic balkanization and ethnic fragmentation that the cars have created in southern California.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    The short-lived sitcom "Men Behaving Badly" from the '90s featured a very unctuous, obnoxious next-door neighbor character trying too woo a pretty girl. In one scene he's just finishing up an obviously very long and very boring story, and the poor girl's eyes are glazed over.

He ends with: "And THAT'S how I became an urban planner."

Registered
    Jun 2009
    There was an episode of Criminal Minds this past weekend wherein a guy works for an environmental company that does site cleanup work and finds out there is a serial arsonist working for him. They mention EPA site cleanup regulations a bit and talk briefly about a rezoning from a commercial-warehouse zone to "ES" - elementary school (nevermind that I've never heard of a zoning district created for something as specific as elementary schools).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Atlanta Zoning Office

Anyone see the latest Walking Dead episode on AMC? They introduced Jackie, an official from the Atlanta Zoning Office I wish we had a zombie emoticon for this post. I give her one or two more episodes before she is consumed by a zombie
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

The Series "Numbers" (unfortunately cancelled last year) starred Judd Hirsch as an urban planner................

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Citizen K View post
    The short-lived sitcom "Men Behaving Badly" from the '90s featured a very unctuous, obnoxious next-door neighbor character trying too woo a pretty girl. In one scene he's just finishing up an obviously very long and very boring story, and the poor girl's eyes are glazed over.

He ends with: "And THAT'S how I became an urban planner."
    The series "Doc Martin" had a throwaway line in it that made me laugh. One of the characters (Louisa) was marrying Doc Martin (a doctor), and her maid of honor was crying because her ex-boyfriend had gotten her pregnant and then left her, and at least Louisa was marrying a doctor, because her lousy ex-boyfriend was only a "city planner."

I quote Citizen K because the lead actor in Doc Martin is Martin Clunes, and he was also the lead character in the original BBC version of "Men Behaving Badly." Hmmm.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Yeah, I saw the Walking Dead episode and laughed out loud. Then I wondered how a zoning person would know about the sewage tunnel. It would've been more plausible if she was from DPW

Registered
    Mar 2003
    There were two Christmas movies in a row yesterday that made mention of planning. One where the Mayor says he has a Planning Commission meeting.

The other where Shelly Long was a city lawyer? and had her Santa Clause father thrown in jail because of zoning violations. ( I have to say I wasn't watching all that close so my details could be a bit off.)

No wonder people think poorly of us...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    "Hiroshima Mon Amour" is still a classic...

On the lighter side, the film short by GHG emissions campaign NGO 10:10, "No Pressure" is noteworthy. The film short depicated small children being blow up, among other bloody things. It was pulled from the air after the public complained.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Family Guy had an episode where they wanted to get a pool permit but found out they actually weren't part of the city so they became their own country. Another episode dealt with the struggle between Walmart and small businesses.

King of the Hill actually had many episodes that seriously mentioned planning and zoning concepts, such as setbacks, residential densities, being active in local planning efforts, Walmart vs small business (a good episode with realistic points, IMO), public participation in government, auto usage, suburban sprawl, neighborhood associations, and fighting chain stores. King of the Hill was a show that was a comedy, but also seriously dealt with some large issues in a mature way.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Wall-E !!!

And a classic Australian film called The Castle.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Parks and Rec. There is a pretty cool Planner. Maybe not the starring role but I like that there is a SNL character as lead.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Anyone see the latest Walking Dead episode on AMC? They introduced Jackie, an official from the Atlanta Zoning Office I wish we had a zombie emoticon for this post. I give her one or two more episodes before she is consumed by a zombie
    Quote Originally posted by der Bebauungsplan View post
    Yeah, I saw the Walking Dead episode and laughed out loud. Then I wondered how a zoning person would know about the sewage tunnel. It would've been more plausible if she was from DPW
    Well, it was plausible that she was completely useless!

And from last night's season finale:
    She essentially committed suicide by remaining behind when the CDC blew itself up.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup.....

Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Well, it was plausible that she was completely useless!

And from last night's season finale:
    She essentially committed suicide by remaining behind when the CDC blew itself up.
    Just another weak willed planner taking the easy way out Did you notice that no one tried that hard to talk her out of it They were all like.....you sure?....but....ah well ok then.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2010

Bullit with Steve McQueen

I'm not sure but I think that Steve McQueen's lady in Bullit (Jackie Bissett) was a landscape architect (she was designing a fountain at the office she worked in and the surroundings looked very design oriented) so that is close to the urban planner species.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    FYI, Over the Hedge is on ABC tonight (Saturday).

Registered
    Dec 2011

Pocahontas (1995 film)

I suggest movies like "Pocahontas (1995)", you get to see the amazing change and it's effects on people...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jan 2012, 5:17 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Jul 2008, 12:51 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 12:07 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 1:51 PM
  5. Replies: 72