Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Annual review - 4 months past due

Registered
    Dec 2001

Annual review - 4 months past due

Is there a proper way, in this economy, to tactfully ask for my review?

Even if its just a measly 2-3% the retro check would be nice to have.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

yes, I do get paid to talk like this

ask for it under the auspice of needing feedback on how you want to better yourself

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Mine is also running 3 month late, but i had a project team meltdown earlier this summer due to lack of communication between our assistant planner and myself, so i didn't break up the issue so i could show that i was actively repairing the relationship. I agree with LP. Use the guise of "feedback"
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2007
    You're lucky. I've worked here for almost six years and have never received a review! I'd love to have one, because feedback is important, but my requests typically fall upon deaf ears.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    They run 6 months or more behind here
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by azmodela View post
    You're lucky. I've worked here for almost six years and have never received a review! I'd love to have one, because feedback is important, but my requests typically fall upon deaf ears.
    That is just sad. I wish more organizations went out of their way to give at least yearly feedback. I have had four reviews, and each one pointed out flaws to which i strive to work on and build upon. Who are you requesting the review from?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It's my boss, who is also the owner of the company.

small company

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    It's in our contract that we must have a review within one week of our anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common addition to most contracts, you should check with HR, although I understand not wanting to ruffle feathers. It's your money though, you're not working to be a swell guy.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by azmodela View post
    You're lucky. I've worked here for almost six years and have never received a review!
    I've been here for almost 4 years. My last (and only) review was three years ago.

Our personnel policies - which explain employee/management responsibilities in detail - litterally say nothing about employee reviews. So, I guess they are optional around here.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    That is just sad. I wish more organizations went out of their way to give at least yearly feedback. I have had four reviews, and each one pointed out flaws to which i strive to work on and build upon. Who are you requesting the review from?
    I request them through the planning director, whom I report to. This is for a large government organization too, so you know the policies are in place!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We get annual reviews, but mine did not happen last April/May. Since we are in tight budgeting times and the company has announced that it will not be giving raises, I have not much cared. I get feedback regularly, so that is not an issue either.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I worked with Cardinal in better economic times, we had to do a self evaluation before the sit-down eval with the dept. head. Initiating that could be a trigger. Sounds like you don't do that though...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    When I worked with Cardinal in better economic times, we had to do a self evaluation before the sit-down eval with the dept. head. Initiating that could be a trigger. Sounds like you don't do that though...
    Off-topic:
    I tried doing the self evaluation with my employees and they didn't see the benefit of it at all - they just wanted to know what I thought - I was bummed about it at the time but moved on -

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I would agree with some of the others, ask in the way of how I can do a better job to help the organization and your supervisor
    but DO NOT talk about any deficiencies (yours or others), try to steer the conversation to areas of improvement and realistic goals that you both agree on

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    In the last 3 places I have worked:
    commonly 4 months behind
    between 1 month and 3 months behind
    1 month behind

for most supervisors it is not a high priority thing and if the person is doing a good job they see it as a formality (as one said to me).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    At my very first planning job I was supposed to have a 6-month review, which would allow me to get off probation, start getting benefits, take vacation days, and call in sick. (They modified that policy when I spent a wintry week present at my desk, propped up by tissue boxes and OTC cold meds.)

PD had left in my month 4. No one else remembered the review. I inquired, and they extended my probation two months (they had been ignoring me and had nothing to evaluate).

If memory serves (this was 30 years ago), they forgot about the second review as well, and ended up evaluating me on what I had done the previous week. It wasn't pretty; apparently I didn't smile broadly enough (pun intended) when asked to get coffee. (For you young'uns, this was a typical task assigned to female workers in an office environment as recently as the late 70s.)

Bottom line: be careful what you're requesting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Just got back to local gov after 10 months out
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Sep 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. Rating the months
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 12 Mar 2013, 9:39 PM
  3. 20+ interviews, 8 months, no job. What do I do?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 01 Jun 2007, 10:53 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 4:19 PM
  5. 4 months from my new office....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Jun 2005, 5:18 PM