Urban planning community

Poll results: Where will the Dow be on October 29?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • over 12000

0 0%
  • 11000 to 12000

0 0%
  • 10500 to 11000

2 3.70%
  • 10000 to 10500

4 7.41%
  • 9500 to 10000

4 7.41%
  • 9000 to 9500

8 14.81%
  • 8500 to 9000

9 16.67%
  • 8000 to 8500

10 18.52%
  • 7500 to 8000

6 11.11%
  • 7000 to 7500

7 12.96%
  • 6000 to 7000

3 5.56%
  • under 6000

1 1.85%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where will the Dow be on October 29th?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm going to guess 7,889.52. I hear it's expected to bottom out at 7,000...it's likely to not go below that, at least not anytime soon.

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Of course, for those of you who are wondering the significance of October 29th... there is none. What I meant to type was October 19th.
    Yes there is. October 29 (Black Tuesday) was the final nail in the coffin back in 1929.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'm going to guess 7,889.52. I hear it's expected to bottom out at 7,000...it's likely to not go below that, at least not anytime soon.
    I would say that if you feel that sure about it, you should be selling some puts at the 7000 level
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    After another near 700-point drop today, I would not be suprised if the market bottoms out around 7,000. By October 29, I would say in the neighborhood of 7700, I keep hoping that we will see the bottom soon, but it seems like every idea the gov't throws out there the market digests it for a few hours, but eventually doesn't like the idea and the market gets pounded.

I am not convinced that we will see depression-era pain, but things are going to be rough. I agree with Dan, double-digit unemployment may be on the horizon. Things are even getting tough in the sunbelt, I heard today that the city of Charlotte, NC has instituted a hiring freeze. This is in the city that was one of the few in the US that actually saw an increase in home prices (granted a feeble increase) over the last 12 months.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Based on what I'm seeing, the money won't know where to go after the election either.
    You may indeed be right. "Conventional wisdom" seems to have taken a drunken vacation of late. My personal opinion, though, is that if Obama wins, you will see at least a modest amount of confidence return to the market. Democrats are historically more trusted with economic affairs. Also, the economy often responds well post-election. The big question to me in this is whether investors at that point will believe that the US government has any ability to positively impact things.

About a year ago, I was advised to consider refinancing my (ARM) mortgage after the election because interest rates often drop. Thank frickin' G_d I didn't listen to THAT sage advice! Refinanced about 5 months ago - right in the nick of time (wipes sweat from brow)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Bill Seidman had some interesting comments today
    I am going with 7500
    Didnt sound like the silent hand theory to me
    Probably as good as anything right now

Oh well only two days and "Trick or Treat"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sure-fire prediction from this Bear.....

Reasons include love stinks, it hurts to be in love, ride my see-saw, the parrot is dead, road trip, wild and crazy guys, I can see Russia from my porch, we make the boats very strong in Germany....no, Hans?, land shark, candy gram, billy the mountain, eve of destruction / tax deduction, no sugar tonight, who put the bomp in the bomp?, brother love, sister hazel, and general dynamics.

My data is probably just as logical as all the rest.

Leroy boy, we gotta get you a woman. Cherry pie.

Bear

Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005

The devil made me say it.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

Yes there is. October 29 (Black Tuesday) was the final nail in the coffin back in 1929.
    October appears to be a bad month for the stock market. October 19, 1987 is the largest percentage drop in history.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm watching the DDJIA drop before my very eyes. Turned on the TV, and it was 70 points down. 10 minutes later, and it's 195 points down. The counter on CNN is literally dropping a point every few seconds.

Okay, now it's 239 points down. 8340.

Edit a second later: 250 down.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    This is one of the most interesting polls we've had in a while. The results so far record almost a classic bell curve on the optimism scale!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    This is one of the most interesting polls we've had in a while. The results so far record almost a classic bell curve on the optimism scale!
    It's still a very limited sample but it would be interesting to see how the responses related to the market conditions at the time in which they were submitted. That may be having a smoothing effect on the curve.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    well since its already about 8000, I'm going to take an uneducated guess at 6000.

If I had any money to burn I would be starting to consider buying up some stocks soon.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    It will be between 7,000 and 7,500.

Why?

The election will not be over until early November, so the money does not know where to go. This means an unsettled economy!
    Duke's right. Investors don't know what the new rules will be until after the election, perhaps even after the first few weeks of the next administration. Until then, market volatility will be sky high.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Duke's right. Investors don't know what the new rules will be until after the election, perhaps even after the first few weeks of the next administration. Until then, market volatility will be sky high.
    I'd take it a step further than that - the crisis has fully engulfed the world now. Investors aren't just looking at what the next administration will do domestically, but also what relations will be like with the rest of the world and what the rest of the world will do as far as market intervention.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    It will drop below 7,000 and then come back up to hmm...... 7,473 on October 29.

This is getting ugly.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Holy hell, more than a 1000 point range today.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    October appears to be a bad month for the stock market. October 19, 1987 is the largest percentage drop in history.
    Historically speaking October is the worst months for stocks...also historically presidential election years tend to be positive for the markets.

My guess is around 8500...I think the market has found a support level but be prepared for "Mr. Toads Wild Ride."
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Of course, for those of you who are wondering the significance of October 29th... there is none. What I meant to type was October 19th.
    It was October 29, 1929 (Black Tuesday). Worst Stock Market Crash up to this point. I predict a significant downturn which will last about 5 years. There is one advantage in our situation today. After the crash of 1929, there was not a presidential election for another 3 years allowing Herbert Hoover to ruin the economy furthur. We have a presidential election soon and reform can happen quicker if Americans make the right choice . I hope the market recovers quicker than 5 years because I am worried about my retired parents.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have lost nearly 1/3 of my net worth in the past month. There goes buying a house next year

\As for my guess I am going to guess around 8000. The UK actions that are going on right now will help a bit..... I also agree that things won't balance out until after the US election. i also predict the TSX will rise this week based on the results of our election.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cancel The Jump

Today the Dow jumped about 1000 points. Biggest jump in history. Cancel the jump. Sell the gun. Stash the rope. Open the garage door. Flush the pills.

Realistically, not unexpected. The truth will tell out in the next few weeks, to see if the different proposals and monetary policy changes (worldwide) will have a lasting effect.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    So the fed cut rates and the stock market closed at 8990.96
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Nice! Nailed it, I did. And by nailed it, I mean guessed successfully using a 500-pt increment.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I too picked the correct increment. I think I think I was thinking something a little lower w/in 8500-9000, but nonetheless close.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I expect pretty choppy trading until then, with a slight downtrend. 8645.23 is my call
    About 350 points off on my to-the-penny call, but I was also in the right 500 point range

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. October pledge drive
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Oct 2011, 6:16 PM
  2. Texas APA Conference in October
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 11:52 PM
  3. Milwaukee October 2007