Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Diplomacy and Political Correctness

Registered
    Aug 2001

Diplomacy and Political Correctness

I am wondering how many of us actually have had problems containing our Roseanne-esque bitterness or elitism? or have strayed over the bounds of political correctness? How many of you practicing planners have had to deal with folks (professional and/or citizen) who really have no idea they are being racist/elitist/closed-minded?

It must be extremely taxing to be diplomatic all the time. I would really like to hear how some of you have handled this type of situation.

As city planners and inherently idealistic I think we have a sixth sense about where and when we can let our mullets down and get less pc. It is our job to make decisions based on the needs of the greater population not one class over another. Mullet or not...chickens in the livingroom or not...white trash or not...

I completely understand the need for being 'polite' in greater society and in one's workplace or school. I do apologize to any white trash I may have offended by my remarks in this and any other thread. I thought I was safe because I didn't think white trash had access to the internet . (just a joke) And...I pre-apologize for any remarks I may make in the future, 'coz ah ain't-a kepping my mouf shut!

Isn't it just about laughing at ourselves? Some may consider me, yes me, "yankee white trash". I've done some pretty trashy things in my life and associated with some Jerry-Springer-like people. Some members of my own family, fail to see the value in some of my choices. Does that give me the right to make fun at the expense of my trashy cousins? Yep it do! BUT...I wouldn't put my biting wit to use at work or school.
    I may be way out there, but....I thought this forum was casual.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Diplomacy and Political Correctness

I'll comment on everything else in a bit, but first ...
    Originally posted by trishm1
    I may be way out there, but....I thought this forum was casual.
    This forum is casual, but in a way its character is defined by those that use it. Not everyone is going to share my beliefs, and some users are going to be more sensitive about some things, for instance the term "white trash," than others.

It's okay to hold a dissenting point of view.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Diplomacy and Political Correctness

Originally posted by trishm1
    How many of you practicing planners have had to deal with folks (professional and/or citizen) who really have no idea they are being racist/elitist/closed-minded?

It must be extremely taxing to be diplomatic all the time. I would really like to hear how some of you have handled this type of situation.

In our office, often times we will make nasty comments and make fun of the people after they leave. I know that sounds bad, but that's how we deal with that pressure.

I'm also the one who handles the neighborhood disputes. I have gotten pretty good about being able to tell if there is a real complaint or someone is being elitist. It is fun to try to steer them into saying that they just don't like the "type" of people that live next door. Once in a while, if you do it right, you can get them to notice where they are coming from.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Political Correctness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 06 Feb 2014, 7:40 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Sep 2013, 7:49 PM
  3. Political correctness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 11 Sep 2013, 2:40 PM