Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to study for written planner exam!?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008

What to study for written planner exam!?

If there is already a thread on this please direct me...
    but anyway, i have just received a letter that i have been sceduled to take a written exam for Regional Planning Assistant II, the job is through a county
    as i've said in other posts, i have recently graduated with an MLA and have not worked in planning, i would love to find an internship but at this point i am applying to everything possible
    i assume planning knowledge will be on this test, so if anyone could suggest documents and/or books i could read and use to study for this test, it would be really helpful..i definately want to be prepared for this test although i know its a long shot

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    So... you think you can learn all about us planners from reading a book or two? Don't worry, you're not the first designer who has posed the question.

If you want a general how-to book, I would recommend reading The Practice of Local Government Planning,otherwise known as the Green Book of Planning, from cover to cover (about 450 pages). I am ALMOST done reading it (for the AICP exam in November). It's a decent text, but doesn't cover historic preservation, international planning, or statistics in great depth.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    3 must have books for planners who want to start out in cali:

Fulton's Guide to California planning-The basics of planning in California in a nutshell
    Curtin's California Land Use & Planning Law (still have it at my desk as a reference)
    The CEQA Deskbook (California Environmental Quality Act)

Since your applying for a regional planner position, familarize yourself with the annexation process, as well as LAFCO, smart growth blueprint initiatives, regional fair share housing allocation, and regional transportation planning and financing.

Oh almost forgot:
    California Subdivision map act as well as basics of reading a tenative map.

gosh, an awful lot for a regional planner. good luck!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the suggestions so far, more are welcome of course
    thing is i just found out late today and the test is in about a week and a half
    so i will definately get some of these books, but i'm also curious what exactly will be on the test and how much will they want me to know, just basics or details, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    There is no standard test given throughout the state. It just varies by jurisdiction. these test are meant to "weed" out potential applicants. Just knowing the basics should get you by. I took a few of these when i started looking for a job a few years back. I scored pretty well, but then again i was trained in school to know the basics. So just stick with that for now.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. PTP exam study resources
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 May 2014, 2:15 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jul 2012, 5:16 PM
  3. AICP exam study manual and CD
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0