Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New York / Tri-State - comprehensive region planning

Registered
    Jul 2005

New York / Tri-State - comprehensive region planning

I am looking for something that speaks of any comprehensive planning of the tri-state region. NY's planning department charges for it's documents on line, I can't find much from NY State, and what there is is econ development, I have not found any cross border documents of that long spread of humanity that links NY, Washington and Boston on the east coast ... does anyone know of any nice strategic level urban focused development guidance documents? Something a bit more recent that Deyan Sujic's "100 mile city" or Saskia Sassan's "Global City" example.

Grateful Smiles offered to any help ...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The closest thing I can think of is the work of the Regional Plan Association, which works on the metro New York/New Jersey/Connnecticut region.

Quote Originally posted by Thomas_of_Australia View post
    I am looking for something that speaks of any comprehensive planning of the tri-state region. NY's planning department charges for it's documents on line, I can't find much from NY State, and what there is is econ development, I have not found any cross border documents of that long spread of humanity that links NY, Washington and Boston on the east coast ... does anyone know of any nice strategic level urban focused development guidance documents? Something a bit more recent that Deyan Sujic's "100 mile city" or Saskia Sassan's "Global City" example.

Grateful Smiles offered to any help ...
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Not sure if what you are looking for exists. RPA has created some material on the BosWash corridor and the Tri-State Area, and I have seen some other documents here and there, but nothing that focuses on land use planning on such a massive scale. Given how fragmented government is in this region of the US and the degree to which planning authority is based around small government & home rule, you may have a hard time finding much on this.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    SGB - that's a handy website and an interesting organization. Thankyou. From reading the annual report it looks like it is a grass-roots style quasi formal NGO's. Would that be correct? A bottom-up peer collaboration rather than top down governance model?

If so, do people think that it's a way of bypassing the fragmented governance Michete James refers to?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Thomas_of_Australia View post
    SGB - that's a handy website and an interesting organization. Thankyou. From reading the annual report it looks like it is a grass-roots style quasi formal NGO's. Would that be correct? A bottom-up peer collaboration rather than top down governance model?

If so, do people think that it's a way of bypassing the fragmented governance Michete James refers to?
    ToA - I'm afraid I don't know much more about their organizational structure or function than what they have on their website. I live and work over +175km north of that planning region.

We do have some other Cyburbians (such as MacheteJames and tsc) who live/work in the RPA region. I'll defer to their experiences.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Nov 2009, 1:51 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 12:26 AM
  3. Empire State Development Zones (New York)
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 4:35 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Nov 2005, 4:19 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Jul 2004, 8:42 AM