Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Silver Linings for Dark Clouds

Registered
    Feb 2004

Silver Linings for Dark Clouds

There is so much we encounter in the world that is dysunctional, ugly, stupid, or just downright bad. But if you think about it, it's sometimes surprising that nuggets of gold can actually be found hidden under so many layers of muck. Even Really Bad Things do on occasion have redeeming qualities.

Take for instance the movie 'Revenge of the Nerds 2' - an insipid comedy if ever there was. It fared poorly in the box office and you're not likely to hear Ebert & Roper referencing the film as any sort of milestone while reviewing other movies. It did, however, have what I thought was one of the funniest themes and individual line ever. The character 'Booger' was a complete scumbag/slob who encounters a sort of scumbag/slob 'spiritual master' (who can belch louder than anyone). At one point he is dispensing slob wisdom and says "To truly hawk a lugey one must not draw phlegm from one's throat, rather, it must come from one's Soul". Didn't laugh at any other jokes in the entire film but that one moment represents the movie's one redemption.

Another example, the Edsel. Regarded as a lemon from a design perspective and a marketing disaster of the first magnitude by Ford. BUT isn't the idea of having a car that operates with lots of push-buttons kinda cool?

One last example, gas prices. Yes when they jumped they had a generally slowing effect on the world economy and created all sorts of hardship for folks who were not well-off to begin with BUT they did have the effect of causing us all to stop a moment, step back, get perspective, and begin serious discussion and consideration of the world's future and also to consider how our lifestyles fit into this. Gas prices have dropped considerably the last few weeks, but don't worry I'm pretty sure they'll be back up to previous levels not long after the Presidential election is over.

Any other examples of redemptive qualities that you can think of for things you would otherwise regard as Really Bad? Polyester fabric? Michael Jackson? Atonal music? Monster trucks? Mussolini? Regressive tax systems? The City of Buffalo?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Mussolini's economic policies were strongly studied by FDR's administration during the New Deal because he "kept the trains running on time" and avoided the worst of the Great Depression. Not sure if they used any of them, though.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Monster trucks make me laugh when I see clips of them rolling over! Since I can only imagine what it costs to build one of them... just to have to re-build it!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2002

edsel

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Another example, the Edsel. Regarded as a lemon from a design perspective and a marketing disaster of the first magnitude by Ford. BUT isn't the idea of having a car that operates with lots of push-buttons kinda cool?
    Ford put a different body on it and called it the Galaxy. Big hit. (Lipstick on the pig syndrome.) Ford also put a different body on the Falcon and called it the Mustang. "Nuff said. The trouble this tactic doesn't work so well any more and the car makers were late to realize it. Nuff, nuff said.
    Last edited by Tom R; 10 Oct 2008 at 1:52 PM. Reason: another example
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    (Lipstick on the pig syndrome.)
    Off-topic:
    Is this going to be the big slogan to come out of this presidential campaign (like "swiftboating" was in 2004 and "fuzzy math" was in 2000)?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Off-topic:
    Is this going to be the big slogan to come out of this presidential campaign (like "swiftboating" was in 2004 and "fuzzy math" was in 2000)?
    Off-topic:
    Only one way to find out...let's ask our resident Expert, Bear Up North! Bear, is more qualified to answer this question than just about anyone on earth. I''ll let him fill you in on why that is....oh BEAR what say you - is 'lipstick on a pig' going to be the winning entry for 2008?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Reminds me of the sense of community and neighborly togetherness that occurred during a 3-day long blackout during the summer of 2005.
    While some (actually) reverted back to their TV rooms with a generator running in the garage, many took to the streets, meeting people and talking.

The same thing happened during the 2006 Blizzard.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Only one way to find out...let's ask our resident Expert, Bear Up North! Bear, is more qualified to answer this question than just about anyone on earth. I''ll let him fill you in on why that is....oh BEAR what say you - is 'lipstick on a pig' going to be the winning entry for 2008?
    "Lipstick on a pig" will, indeed, be an entry in Lake Superior State University's BANISHED WORDS list. That list, garnering international attention every year on New Year's Day, publishes words and phrases from the past year.....words and phrases that should be banished for overuse and misuse. This Bear did not submit that phrase, expecting that many will.

See the attached link.

Submissions from this Bear were on the list the last three years. I have forwarded more, for this year. We shall see if I can make the national news again. So boring.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    I was heartbroken when my college neighbor started dating my roomate, but then she realized he was a jackass and now she's married to me.

Scoreboard.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Medical Technology

This Bear considers modern medical technology as the silver lining for the dark cloud of potentially-fatal disease. My continued posting (aka: pestering) on Cyburbia is thanks to the wonders of radiation technology, modern chemotherapy treatments, and extensive (and expensive) imaging advancements. That silver lining erased the dark cloud of cancer.....and trust me.....when you are hit with a daignosis with "the big C" embedded, the clouds are very dark.

Bear With Silver Lining (And I Glow In The Dark)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Another silver lining from dark clouds...

As well documented on this forum, my heart was broken, left a miserable situation, and moved thousands of miles away from my sons.

Here in Florida, I met and married the ZG. I'm happier than I've ever felt.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I view it that I am still alive and by all that has happened to me, I am not supposed to be. So when the furnace, roof, refrigerator, chiminey had to be replaced and a water pipe broke during a cold spell and naturally employment came to an abrupt end. All happened unexpectedly this year. Then last Monday, I looked at my 401, (not a good idea) I realized that Mrs Katt beat the big C and has been clean for three years now, our youngest had another succesful operation, and we are alive. So actually, I am grateful and think that the most important thing is that I am alive and my family is healthy. So the silver or I think of it as the gold is the most important thing.

Registered
    Sep 2008

From academia

It's not just in the professional and personal arenas that bad leads to good. There's so many pressures on academics and the universities they work in that some cynical but concerned academics do wonderful things like creating the "University for Bums on Seats" (formerly Peckham Polytechnic). It's good for a laugh, especially if you're in the middle of marking assignments.

If you want to have a look at a very tongue in cheek view of universities (or rather, a university) check out their site. If you want to get yourself a degree, including a PhD, in a number of fascinating fields, such as arse-elbow differentiation, you can also get one from the site. Looks good on your door.

The site is: www.cynicalbastards.com

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Most of the houses adjacent to mine have been foreclosed on and vacant for the last couple years. Sure this negatively affects the value of our property, but the up side is that we now enjoy unprecedented levels of privacy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2007, 10:15 PM
  2. It's a dark day in my county
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 2:33 PM
  3. Signal priority on MBTA Silver Line?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Jan 2006, 11:19 PM