Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Silt-fence advertising

Silt-fence advertising

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on the following scenario.... For many years we have interpreted silt-fence advertising (normally the logo & name of the developer) as construction signage, which in our sign ordinance is specific and is not allowable based on the definition of construction signage. Recently some issues have cropped up with some developers challenging our interpretation of the sign code. Has anyone been in a situation like this, specific to silt-fencing? Or could someone point me at some additional resources? I need to examine all pros and cons, in both communities that have allowed for this and prohibited it.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    If you are going to regulate that would you also regulate all the Tyvek sheets on an unfinished house or the plywood with the stenciled in name?

I believe you are reffering to something like this ... http://www.willco.net/SIlt_Fence_pics_004.jpg
    Last edited by Tide; 16 Sep 2008 at 5:27 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I've never seen any ads on silt fences. I don't see what the point would be, as they're only 3 feet tall or so.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    For many years we have interpreted silt-fence advertising (normally the logo & name of the developer) as construction signage, which in our sign ordinance is specific and is not allowable based on the definition of construction signage.
    Why?

Are you afraid it detracts from silt fence's natural beauty?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by digger View post
    Why?

Are you afraid it detracts from silt fence's natural beauty?
    Only you!

I don't see silt fence with advertising here, and I see miles of it. I have seen it in other states.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I figured I'd see you replying to this thread. You're Cyburbia's "subject matter expert" on silt fence, aren't you?

I've never seen it around here either.

That was a serious question though. (The "Why?" question, that is.)

I'll be out digging myself a hole tomorrow, so I'll add this comment without waiting for an answer--In my experience, contractors that bother to put their good name right out there for all to see, do so because the way their jobs sites are 'kept' reflects positively on them. It just seems that allowing a contractor to keep his good name in the public eye, by having it appear on silt fence, would encourage good behavior on the part of said contractor.

That doesn't seem like a bad thing, so I'm at a loss as to why it's seen as a problem in Tree Planner's jurisdiction.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't know if Tree Planner is talking about site contractors' advertising their company name on silt fence. I have seen manufacturer's or distributor's names on it. I do see site contractor's names on iron sometimes, but that's rare.

If you must know, I am Cyburbia's expert on leaking sediment basins. Although some developers are getting pretty good at recognizing them....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I don't know if Tree Planner is talking about site contractors' advertising their company name on silt fence. I have seen manufacturer's or distributor's names on it. .
    For many years we have interpreted silt-fence advertising (normally the logo & name of the developer)
    That's the way I read it. As I said, I've never seen any either. It seems like a developer would have to be putting up an awful lot of silt fence to make it worth having the company name printed on it. For a manufacture or distributor, it might be cost effective, by virtue of volume, and having their name on everybody's site.

Looking forward to further enlightenmnet...

I've only seen the manufactor's name of the stuff myself. Personally, I don't see the harm in letting someone else's name on the stuff. It's only temporary. Further, the fencing isn't all that attractive anyway. Just about any you put on it is going to make it look better.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

It has only become a problem in that, if you have traveled through Central Florida, if there is any blank "space" someone often finds a way to advertise on it... so staff tends to take a more proactive position against these sort of issues. Like I said, just trying to look at the pros and cons of the issue. We've become very concerned about aesthetics lately... I like the idea of how it holds the contractor responsible.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts…..

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Our silt fencing quickly becomes too silty to be of any use for advertisements. That being said, who cares? It is temporary and an absolute waste of time to regulate.

I care....

Unfortunately I get paid to care about things like these. To further explain the issue.. a large shopping center ran about 400 yards of a banner along a principle arterial that normally would have been seen as a banner. It was about 4 ½’ in height, and we received complaints to our code enforcement department. When asked to remove the banner, the developer’s response was that it was a barrier, not a banner. Our response was that even if he was correct the barrier still had illegal advertising on it, which was not up to code and should be removed. He then began to complain loudly about other barriers in the area that had advertising that was not up to code. Technically, according to our code he is correct, as something that is not addressed is considered not to be allowable by code. Needless to say, other developers in our area were not happy when asked to remove their silt fencing and have requested a code change with council. Could we have interpreted this a number of different ways, certainly. Did we? No. Just to ask again, is anybody familiar with any regulations concerning advertising on a silt fence? Or, does anybody's construction signage code address this? I wish this stuff was temporary, but unfortunately we have a number of sites where there has been silt fence up for over three years.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You have to pick and choose your battles.

This seems like one that isnt worth the fight, IMO.

Sometimes....

Sometimes our bosses, and their bosses choose our battles for us!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Only you!

I don't see silt fence with advertising here, and I see miles of it.
    You didn't see silt fencing with advertising. Thanks for the great idea!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fence regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jan 2009, 6:12 PM
  2. Fence regulations
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 9:11 AM
  3. How tall is this fence?
    Land Use and Zoning