Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown development guidelines components?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008

Downtown development guidelines components?

Tonight I am showing a Powerpoint Presentation to provide our Downtown Development Advisory Committee with some ideas of Downtown Development Guidelines. This is basically the start of a larger project, and I am just throwing guidelines I have seen in other communities that I think may work here. I am covering building colors, signs, building materials, weather protection (recessed entry, overhang, awning etc..), parking, and streetscapes. I was just wondering if anyone had any last minute things I left out that should be covered. Again I am just looking for basic things to get some ideas from committee members. Thanks for your input!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Don't forget about setbacks, infill standards, parks, wayfinding, pedestrian access, bicycle, transit...etc. Best of Luck! I find that pictures seem to work the best with the labels and arrows.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Don't forget about setbacks, infill standards, parks, wayfinding, pedestrian access, bicycle, transit...etc. Best of Luck! I find that pictures seem to work the best with the labels and arrows.
    Thank you for the feedback! I did have setbacks included, forgot to mention that...Also forgot to give the aspects of the town I'm in. It's an extremely small town of just under 1,000 residents and the downtown area will be extremely small with very little currently down there. We are basically starting from scratch so everything will be infill. Parks is one area which I missed and will be an important aspect to cover. Again thanks for the input since I know I usually miss one or two obvious points to cover.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about paving textures, details, and colors (sidewalks and streets); pedestrian amenities such as benches and gathering areas.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    How about paving textures, details, and colors (sidewalks and streets); pedestrian amenities such as benches and gathering areas.
    This is good. Develop a streetscape standard for implementation as the city has funds and properties are renovated/redeveloped.

Aside from that, my one bit of advice is that you cannot have too many illustrations in your downtown development guidelines--it really helps the layperson understand what is going on, plus helps to clearly depict the intent of any text.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2007
    I agree, streetscape/landscape requirements. In addition to benches, you can include other elements such as trash receptacles, light standards, etc. Other ideas are building massing, security grilles, and trash (district-wide approach vs. individual building responsibility; dumpsters vs. compactor).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Downtown design guidelines.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 12:19 PM
  2. Conservation development guidelines
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 9:10 AM
  3. Downtown design guidelines
    Design, Space, and Place