Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacant city owned parcel

Registered
    Aug 2008

Vacant city owned parcel

Anyone have any experience or ideas determining a use for a odd shaped and odd placed vacant City owned lot along a freeway? Access to the lot would be impossible, so access would have to be gained by parking across the street and crossing at the signal. I was thinking maybe a community garden could work here? any thoughts?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    A community garden is a possibility if it would compliment the surrounding area and people will use it. But, with the location of the site next to a freeway, could be a good site for a couple of cell towers or something that would bring some income to the local jurisdiction. It all depends on several different factors about which I know nothing because I'm not familiar with the site or its surroundings.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ditto the above.

I did a parks plan for a community with a parcel like that. It was less than a quarter of an acre, with a large part of it taken up by a municipal well. Many years before they had converted it to a park, putting in some playground equipment. It was on a busy street right next to the off-ramp from a divided highway, with no sidewalks or crosswalks. Our recommendation? Remove the old playground structures, put in a sign saying "Welcome to Nameofthe City" and leave it be.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Oct 2012, 2:58 PM
  3. Zoning for city-owned property
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 14 Oct 2005, 2:34 PM
  4. Vacant buildings or vacant lots?