Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GPA at graduate schools

GPA at graduate schools

Hello...
    I am a first-year graduate student at a planning school......It has been about 1 month at this school.......and things are not looking good! Nobody told me graduate school is a lot tougher than undergrad...

Everyone is smart and hardworking....and I also have been working my ass off....but..I am getting dumb or sth...I not getting good scores. I am being frantic about my grades. A firm is funding my education..and if I get a grade lower than B in one of my classes....they would no longer support me..then..I am going to be in huge trouble....

Since you all guys have graduated, what kind of grades did you get at graduate school? Do you guys know the average GPA of graduate students?
    Last edited by bbleorst; 10 Oct 2008 at 6:53 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Most graduate programs require you to maintain at least a 3.0 in order to graduate. If you are having a hard time, perhaps consider cutting back on one class a semester/quarter. It may take longer to finish, but it should ease up the workload and allow more time for studying.
    Last edited by NickSticks; 10 Oct 2008 at 6:41 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by bbleorst View post
    Hello...
    I am a first-year graduate student at a planning school......It has been about 1 month at this school.......and things are not looking good! Nobody told me graduate school is a lot tougher than undergrad...

Everyone is smart and hardworking....and I also have been working my ass off....but..I am getting dumb or sth...I not getting good scores. I am being frantic about my grades. A firm is funding my education..and if I get a grade lower than B in one of my classes....they would no longer support me..then..I am going to be in huge trouble....

Since you all guys have graduated, what kind of grades did you get at graduate school? Do you guys know the average GPA of graduate students?
    I hope you check back in here because odds are I go to school with you if you are indeed in NJ. Yes, it is not easy being a graduated student, but obviously somebody saw something in you to admit you in the first place. Sometimes it just takes some getting used to, you need to work smarter-not harder, and the aforementioned advice of scaling back on the class load is exactly what many others in the program have done.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2006
    In my experience, the first semester of grad school was by far the worst. I think a lot of schools do this to try and "weed out" any students who shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if things got easier, or if it just takes a semester to get used to the difference in a graduate and undergraduate program. Either way, keep your head up and know that it will get easier.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    The courses one typically takes in the first semester of grad school (Intro, Methods, Site Planning, Land Use Planning) are, imo, the toughest. My first semester gpa was 3.46, which was among the lower gpas in my entering class. However, over the course of the 2-year program, my grades picked up each semester. I graduated with a 3.73, which was right in the middle of my class.

I think the starting slow, then getting better pattern is pretty typical in grad school. It takes a couple of months to get acclimated to the pace of work, professors' expectations, and the background info and terminology necessary to understand the profession.

Hang in there.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Opposite scenario for me. I did really well in the beginning. Firs two quarters had a 4.0 GPA. Then, as the classes became a bit more strenuous, my grades began to wane a bit. Although I still ended up with a 3.89 GPA, so I guess not too bad. Not sure how that ranked overall.

Good luck.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

Graduate School is just as much about being able to prove you can stick with a course of study, maybe do a little research without melting down and getting decent marks at the same time......all good indications that you will be a good worker bee in the real world So I wouldn't worry about the GPA as long as you meet the minimum requirements and do your best. If you're that worried, just go to Georgia Tech, where they allow students to get a couple of C's....snicker....The One messing with his GA Tech buddies Come on y'all know I love ya right
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Graduate schools?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 8:19 PM
  2. Advice on graduate schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 9:32 AM
  3. Replies: 7