Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Light pole banners sponsored by private business?

Registered
    Oct 2008

Light pole banners sponsored by private business?

Does your community or another around you do this?
    We are thinking of allowing steetlight banners to be sponsored by the private business, and also have the Village name on the banner. If you do this, how did you make your plan work? Can I get a sample of the code passage or plan relating to this? Thank you! ~H.E. Planner

Off-topic:

Rant Warning

A former Mayor didn't need no stinking ordinance or regulations: the salesman simply had to suggest a "Patriotic Theme" (cue the inappropriate use of the national colors for commercial gain) and they were installed faster than you could say Yankee Doodle.

Go ahead an pollute the village landscape. What the heck, everybody else does.

Thank you, I feel better now.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2002
    This is a great point. I wish that I had something to offer, but I'll probably just watching to see how it's addressed. If nothing is offered, I'll research it and throw out what I come up with, which will end up in the sign ordinance that I'm writing right now.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Street pole lights are typically in the public right-of-way. Private, commercial advertising is usually prohibited in the public right-of-way.

Next question?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Gedunker worked the same towns as me. So what if Budweiser is on every banner. They want to celebrate the season with us, and the banners are free. They are so community minded...and patriotic to boot.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    A community I worked in had these. Basically a former city manager signed the contract on this right before he left us and by the time the new city manager found out about it, several merchants in town had already given this company money for the advertisements. They were in a commercial corridor and looked awful and were eyesores. There are better ways to advertise businesses in the area.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    A nearby jurisdiction has these. Tastefully done. The only problem is: their DDA district is a dreadful township-like commercial strip, the kind with modern street lighting, olde tyme faux Victorian lamp posts, driveways galore, parking in front, four travel lanes and one LTO.

Field's is one of my Meccas
    Last edited by Veloise; 14 Oct 2008 at 7:58 AM.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Street pole lights are typically in the public right-of-way. Private, commercial advertising is usually prohibited in the public right-of-way.

Next question?
    Except that projecting signs are typically allowed in the ROW, if they maintain a minimum height above the sidewalk. To play Devil's Advocate, can't you make the same arguement about the poles?

What I've run into is this. Who owns the poles? If the utility company does, then they get to decide who gets to put up flags and banners. If the city does, then why couldn't they regulate them and offer up rental space on their banners?
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    With municipal budgets in the tank in many areas, I think the idea of revenue from the town renting space might appeal. A few design/size standards and you might be ok. Banners can be seasonal which, if done well, can be a nice addition toa streatscape in a small CBD or outlying business district. Might consider rent $ in writing the revisions to the ordinance.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Waterloo, Ontario had University banners all over town for UWaterloo's fiftieth anniversary. Technically a private corporation. Otherwise the light standards are reserved for City items, though.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    One of the hats I've worn is advertising & sponsorship sales.

You'd take the number of banners wanted and divide the cost to get a banner price. Add some overhead; say $50 pays for one banner, charge the business $75. Create a mock-up so the sponsors can see what they are getting; any business would want to get in on it. I would limit the lettering or positioning to look better than the examples I posted.

In my pics, the Victorian light poles are owned by the TIFF district. Looks like Walgreens got in on the action by decorating the lamp poles in their parking lot.

I'm a fan of DDA banners and take pics of them wherever I find new examples. (Tiny towns all over the midwest make it work; why not large cities?)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Oct 2008, 5:59 PM
  3. Street light pole bracket vendors
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 12:29 PM
  4. AICP sponsored classes
    Student Commons