Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Very Truly Yours" and other odd letter signatures

Registered
    Jan 2005

"Very Truly Yours" and other odd letter signatures

I often receive letters signed "Yours Very Truly", or "Very Truly Yours", usually from private sector consultants and lawyers. Sometimes it is preceeded by "As always, I remain...". What exactly is this supposed to mean? To me it sounds like something belonging in a 18th century love letter, not something you'd write to a lowly government bureaucrat.

Is this just something that originated in archaic english and was passed down through the generations of letter writing? Are there other similar odd salutations/signature lines that you know of?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think that's why I've always preferred the memo format for business correspondence. Regards? Sincerely? Thanks? SWAK? BIte me? Just leave them all to personal correspondence unless you really know the person and mean it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Sometimes it is preceeded by "As always, I remain...". What exactly is this supposed to mean?
    It's an abbreviated form of a signature convention often used in England for official correspondence directed to a superior during the late 18th - early 19th century. It continues "....your humble and devoted servant" (or some close variant). It's a carryover from the days of vassalage and originally signified an acknowlegement of fealty.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    My bugbear is 'Kind Regards'

It oozes insincerity in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with a simple 'Regards'!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Someone in our municipality has "Cheers," as part of his signature.

annoying.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I always sign off with "Sincerely,".

My Civil Ward pards use something like this:

As always, I remain,
    yr ob't servant,
    [name]

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    AIB Adam Samberg/Mark Walberg:

I am signing off with: "And say hey to your mother for me."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

annoying.
    I do that but NEVER on a professional letter - only in e-mails to my friends.

For professional correspondence, I usually go with "sincerely"... assuming that I am sincere. I don't know whether I could be "yours truly" to anyone other than my spouse.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Lawyers are generally the worst in this regard.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

Hey Donkey. How ya doin'? You live in ah bahn.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I was taught years ago that "Sincerely" was a suitable closing for a personal letter. It seems to be a variant of "Sincerely yours" or "Yours Sincerely."

"Very truly yours" is, I was taught, suitable for a business letter. Apparently "very truly" indicates less of a commitment than "sincerely."

My understanding is that these are just polite conventions, like starting a letter with "Dear" or asking someone "How are you?" and their responding "Fine, thank you, and you?"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

You just made my day.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The two I hate are "Cheers" and "Best".

With "cheers", what the hell is that? Are we drinking in a bar or are we writing a letter?

And "Best,"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is the person writing the letter a little narcissistic and think they're the best? Or were they simply too lazy to write "best wishes"?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hm. I use "regards" but now that Otterpop mentions it, "say hey to your mother for me" has a nice ring to it. Maybe even add a picture of a chicken.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries
    "Deliciously Yours" seems to work for me in both professional and private letters.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I tend to adopt according to the culture I am working in
    Although I have to admit that I like one of Ofos responses and at times it would be more appropriate or at least more satisfying, but than I would unemployed again

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    The two I hate are "Cheers" and "Best".

With "cheers", what the hell is that? Are we drinking in a bar or are we writing a letter?
    it would probably be a good idea that you don't ever consider moving to the UK...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    it would probably be a good idea that you don't ever consider moving to the UK...
    Or Canada...

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Very truly yours is the only one I ever see other than Sincerly. Sincerely sounds so stern so I use VTY.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I typically use "regards". Sincerely seems a bit stuffy to me. I really just wish a signature wasn't SOP on letters because it always sounds fake and contrived.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Sincerely Very Truly Yours

I write memos.....................and send emails................no closing necessary.............

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I usually muse "cheers" or "regards" for email, and "sincerely" for regular email.

At Cyburbia HQ, I get a lot of mail from all around the world. Email from India and the Middle East often use odd salutations and signatures which to my American English-reading eyes look like romantic advances. I get salutations like "Dearest Dan" and "Dear Master", and signatures like "Most humbly yours" , "Yours truly", and even "Love".
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2010

"...mate!

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

annoying.
    The use of "Cheers" at the end of any written correspondence really gets under my skin too, especially by trendy American men. Cheers is just not a part of our common vernacular and comes across to me as someone who wants us to perceive them as casual and friendly yet reminding us they are a cosmopolitan sort by adopting the very specific but informal British colloquialism as their own.

If anything it makes them appear haughty, boastful even. Why does a suburban, middle class, very nice Jewish guy from Sherman Oaks, CA front like he's East End London Eurotard?? Ponder the root complexities...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wrote a couple letters this morning concerning some really nasty/contentious code enforcement issues. All I can say is it feels incredibly false starting those letters with "Dear Mr. .....". I wonder if we might perhaps consider adopting a business correspondence convention in such situations that would allow greetings like "Hey Loser,... " and signed "Your Nemesis,...."

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    "Hey Loser,... " and signed "Your Nemesis,...."
    That would be great! Another good opening line, "Guess who's about to be pissed!"
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 4:42 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM