Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown design standards for small communities

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008

Downtown design standards for small communities

I am working as part of an Americorp program in a community of just under 1,000 and it's located roughly 25 miles from a community of 150,000. A project of mine is to help develop design standards, because the community wants to attract businesses to it's downtown. I was wondering if anyone knew of communities of similar size that have developed design standards??

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

You may want to check with the APA
    There are some excellent resources for this category

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It's a bigger community (8,000), but Lincoln City, OR has commercial design standards. I think this will get you there:

HTML code:
    http://www.lincolncity.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=s4x0bq7D0cw%3d&tabid=2909&mid=9027&language=en-US
    Last edited by Otis; 21 Oct 2008 at 7:26 PM. Reason: maybe not

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I'd probably just do a google search of community plans/downtown plans/historic plans for similar communities in your state. Looks like you're posting from Oregon... it shouldn't be too hard to come up with some decent examples from that state. Also, check out your state APA chapter website.. they might have examples, or they might just provide food for thought that you could follow to other communities.

Registered
    Mar 2008

Design Standards

I'm currently working on design standards for a small city that just passed 1,000 persons 30 miles from a metropolitan area. Those Lincoln City standards are pretty good. We've gone much more basic with ours though as the city's population is not that progressive and we feel that we need to slowly implement standards. Essentially, we are starting with a short (~40 pages), very basic document and then 5-10 years down the road adding on to it.

I gathered a few examples off google to start. With Larmie, Wyoming's standards as the basis, our land use committee rebuilt it in their image of the city.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Solman15 View post
    I'm currently working on design standards for a small city that just passed 1,000 persons 30 miles from a metropolitan area. Those Lincoln City standards are pretty good. We've gone much more basic with ours though as the city's population is not that progressive and we feel that we need to slowly implement standards. Essentially, we are starting with a short (~40 pages), very basic document and then 5-10 years down the road adding on to it.

I gathered a few examples off google to start. With Larmie, Wyoming's standards as the basis, our land use committee rebuilt it in their image of the city.
    Great thanks for pointing me to Laramie. I had been doing the same and looking around google, but many of the communities I came across were much larger than the one I am working in and therefore have much stricter standards. However, I do think Laramie had more basic standards which is what I was looking for.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    You might want to check Oakridge, OR. They require a specific style, but it might be helpful.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Sep 2007, 1:25 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 4:19 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Mar 2003, 4:02 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2000, 12:10 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Nov 1998, 10:33 PM