Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Median household income

Registered
    Mar 2008

Median household income

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this. But, I'm looking for a more up-to-date set of data on Household Income distribution. It is not for a metropolitan area, a city of approximately 50,000. Any advice?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Solman15 View post
    Forgive my lack of knowledge on this. But, I'm looking for a more up-to-date set of data on Household Income distribution. It is not for a metropolitan area, a city of approximately 50,000. Any advice?
    Check to see if the area participated in the 2005 census update. Other options places to look is the local COG. Another option is pay a service like ERSI, Claritas or Infomap to provide you the data. These sources tend to be unrealible in more rural areas but its a place to start.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This should all be available on your state's website.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You can get this information from the Americn Community Survey (probably at the county level).
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Solman15 View post
    Try the ACS for county level data and check the state office of statistics site since it's much more frequently updated and projected than the Census. The ACS has both Metropolitan/Micropolitan Statistical Area data as well. A city I used to work in with population 20K has ACS data...give it a shot.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2008

Wait until December?

I was told by the Census folks at NC State to wait until December for accurate county-level data. For our county (est. pop 85,000) there is way too much variation right now in the results from the ACS rolling surveys. The margin of error is as large as the count in most instances.

The ACS three year aggregates for pop. 20,000-65,000 are scheduled for first release in December 2008. Pop. under 20,000 will be released in 2011 at the block group level, those are 5 year aggregates.

Your state's release dates may be different - the data person at the state level will know.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In my office, we use Claritas for median household incomes between census years.

The best thing about the Claritas Community Profile Analysis is that you can get the information all the way down to the census tract level.

If your organization isn't willing/able to pay for the information, check with local libraries or maybe a university library to see if they get the yearly updates.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    In my office, we use Claritas for median household incomes between census years.

The best thing about the Claritas Community Profile Analysis is that you can get the information all the way down to the census tract level.

If your organization isn't willing/able to pay for the information, check with local libraries or maybe a university library to see if they get the yearly updates.
    I've had hit and miss luck with the accuracy of Claritas.

Registered
    May 2007
    Also remember that Census Data is self-reported. It is human nature to under-report such things and not include all income.

Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) is an option. They provide information on Personal Income which they define as "Income received by persons from all sources. It includes income received from participation in production as well as from government and business transfer payments. It is the sum of compensation of employees (received), supplements to wages and salaries, proprietors' income with inventory valuation adjustment (IVA) and capital consumption adjustment (CCAdj), rental income of persons with CCAdj, personal income receipts on assets, and personal current transfer receipts, less contributions for government social insurance." This information is found at the local and county levels.

Have fun!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Amen. These are guestimates based on Census data. The Census data will work just fine for most purposes.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    We make no judgements about the accuracy of the data from Claritas. But I find that it is great for what it is: a consistently calculated figure during the in-between-years when you cannot get U.S. Census data.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Household water use
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 9:39 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jan 2012, 10:37 AM
  4. Data source: median household income
    Economic and Community Development