Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rural planning forum: your thoughts?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Rural planning forum: your thoughts?

I recently got an email requesting the addition of a rural planning forum. Others have made the request through the years, so I thought I'd start a thread.

The unofficial policy about adding new forums is that it's better to have fewer busy forums than many less active forums, and that new forums should be added mainly when the topic doesn't really fit in any of the other forums, and/or the forum will get a enough traffic or attract enough new users to justify its existence. The most recently added forums were the Planning in Australia, Planning in the UK and Environmental Planning forums.

I've been reluctant to add a rural planning thread because it seems like many rural-specific planning topics could fit in other forums, Can you think of any topics specific to rural planning that don't fit neatly into the other forums? Would they be common enough to justify a separate forum?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    I think that many of the issues affecting rural areas (land preservation, agri-tourism, right-to-farm issues, etc.) could be easily handled in other forums.

My vote would be to not add it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    While I agree that many of the issues affecting rural planning are covered in other threads and forums, I believe that a rural planning forum could be beneficial because it would concentrate rural planning perspectives in one cohesive place. It isn't that we don't have many of the same issues, it is that we rural planners often address those issues differently and our solutions must be different.

A rural planning forum could be a place for rural planners to discuss our problems and solutions. Right now those problems and solutions are all over Cyburbia, and some of the "solutions" from our urban planners just don't work for rural realities.

My two cents.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with btrage. You've done a great job of managing forums over the years that I've been here (9 now, i believe).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    think about it for a minute, i bet most peeps, such as myself, check every forum with a green light on when I pop on. Not necessary to break this out, IMO.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know this is a pipe dream, but I think it would be cool if Cyburbia had more social networking tools, with at least the option to tag threads so that threads could be made more specifc, relevant, and easier to search for, therefore eliminating the need to create new forums. In its place could be a tag cloud or an RSS feed for Rural Planning (or whatever the tag might be) that one could subscribe to.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Being a Rural Planner, I would not be opposed to a rural planning forum. At times I feel like the more urban answers just don't fit the situations as well as the mind set of those we are trying to regulate.

Urban planners most probably do not have lengthy discussions in there Planning Commission meetings about how big an acreage do you need to have a horse or rasie chickens. They are simply not allowed. But those are issues we deal with every day.
    What are the septic requirements for your community?
    How do you define agriculture?
    How many acres do you require to build a home. Do you believe in Ag Preservation and how do you encourage it?

I tend not to ask questions like these because the forum is more urban and the responces from the urban planners just don't fit those situations.

(I mean no offense to Urban Planners it is a very important position)

So I guess I would be in favor or at the very least have some way to identify these issues.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Being a Rural Planner, I would not be opposed to a rural planning forum. At times I feel like the more urban answers just don't fit the situations as well as the mind set of those we are trying to regulate.

Urban planners most probably do not have lengthy discussions in there Planning Commission meetings about how big an acreage do you need to have a horse or rasie chickens. They are simply not allowed. But those are issues we deal with every day.
    What are the septic requirements for your community?
    How do you define agriculture?
    How many acres do you require to build a home. Do you believe in Ag Preservation and how do you encourage it?

I tend not to ask questions like these because the forum is more urban and the responces from the urban planners just don't fit those situations.

(I mean no offense to Urban Planners it is a very important position)

So I guess I would be in favor or at the very least have some way to identify these issues.
    What she said! Queen B addressed Dan's question much better than my general answer. She articulated some of those issues that concern rural planners more so than urban planners.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I thought that at one point we had a Small Town and Rural Planning Forum. As mentioned, there are certainly different subjects being addressed in the rural areas of the country compared with urban and suburban contexts. Also, how things are done is different, with less staff to handle issues, and a history to overcome, rather than build upon. I would support a forum for discussion of those issues.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    What she said! Queen B addressed Dan's question much better than my general answer. She articulated some of those issues that concern rural planners more so than urban planners.
    Indeed, but should the topics for rural planners really warrant a completely independent forum? I don't think so.

Yes, a planner in an urban environment may not have experience whit defining the acreage needed for a horse farm, but there are many rural planners on Cyburbia that can and do address such questions when posted in the existing forums.

I just don't see a devoted forum for rural planning getting much traffic.

And just because one may be an urban planner right now, doesn't mean one wasn't one in the past.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas? View post
    I know this is a pipe dream, but I think it would be cool if Cyburbia had more social networking tools, with at least the option to tag threads so that threads could be made more specifc, relevant, and easier to search for, therefore eliminating the need to create new forums. In its place could be a tag cloud or an RSS feed for Rural Planning (or whatever the tag might be) that one could subscribe to.
    FWIW, vBulletin 3.7 has the ability to add tags and thread subject prefixes. However, they're not turned on here. Why? There can only be one prefix for a thread, selected from a preset list the admins and I would create. As for user-added fill-in-the-blank tags, there's several issues; what to do about old threads, use of consistent terms, and possible use of inappropriate tags. (On one other message board I frequent, tagging was activated, and people were adding rather blue tags to threads about otherwise mundane subjects. Tagging lasted a day) vBulletin 3.8 will have clouds and some other wseb 2.0-ish features, so it may be worth investigating when it's released.

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I thought that at one point we had a Small Town and Rural Planning Forum. As mentioned, there are certainly different subjects being addressed in the rural areas of the country compared with urban and suburban contexts. Also, how things are done is different, with less staff to handle issues, and a history to overcome, rather than build upon. I would support a forum for discussion of those issues.
    There was a STR forum years ago, but it didn't get much traffic.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Suggestion:
    Make Rural Planning a sub-forum in the Make No Small Plans forum.

Invite a longtime trusted Cyburbian with great interest and knowledge in rural planning to be the moderator of this sub-forum.

Additional duties of this moderator:
    - To scour the site for existing rural planning topics and notify Dan to move them to the sub-forum, (with a clear 'redirect').
    - To initiate numerous threads specific to rural planning, and to lead them, if necessary.
    - To encourage rural planners to participate in the sub-forum.
    - To take personal responsibility for the success level of this sub-forum.

If at any time this moderator ceases to adequately perform these duties, s/he should be replaced with another rural planning moderator.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I support having a small town and/or rural planning forum again.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I support having a small town and/or rural planning forum again.
    DITTO.

I think it is a great idea. Rural planners get no respect. No respect at all.

I would certainly support the idea of the thread and participate. Rural planners have different challenges and different approaches.

APA, Cyburbia and Planetizen all are dominated by urban issues, discussion and solutions. As I logged into Cyburbia this morning in the corner of the home page was an ad for Cyburbia. The first words are "Discuss urban planning. . . " Not discuss planning. Discuss urban planning.

I would welcome another set of eyes and ears to ferret out solutions to problems I face daily in rural planning. Some of those solutions probably would come from urban planners with rural planning ideas. It is a good thing.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would be down with a rural planning subforum as well. I had tried to begin a Small Town Planning thread at one time, but it fell by the wayside and down the thread "wall" if you will. I also feared that a simple all-encompassing thread may be too random and some ideas would need to be rooted out for further discussion.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Could we move this thread over to it?

Also, there are a couple other in the Make no Small Plans area that could warrant moving.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Point out the URLs of the threads, and we'll move them over.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I think this rural planning forum is already proving to be a great asset. Already ideas are popping up that have a very rural focus and deal with issues not addressed by urban theory. And it certainly provides the opportunities for disseminating and researching ideas that STAR does not provide well. Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning in the UK forum to be removed
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 12:14 AM
  2. New Rural and Small Town Planning forum
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 May 2009, 5:53 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 5:34 PM