Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Mod Squad

Registered
    Jul 2006

The Mod Squad

Excerpt from Wikipedia – “The Mod Squad was a police drama that featured three young, hip, crime fighters. One White, One Black, One Blonde, was the promotional hype-line. The casting was intended to appeal to a youthful, counterculture audience. The basic premise was that the youthful investigators were offered work fighting crime as an alternative to being incarcerated themselves. The show's primary gimmick centered on the three cops using their youthful, hippie personas as a guise to get close to the criminals they investigated. The show was moderately popular during its initial run of five seasons and 123 episodes. Tige Andrews (Captain Greer), Michael Coles (Pete Cochran), Peggy Andrews (Julie Barnes), and Clarence Williams III (Linc Hayes) starred. The show portrayed a multicultural society and dealt with issues of racial politics, drug culture, and counterculture.”

Cyburbia has it’s own Mod(erator) Squad that plays much the same police role here. So which administrator/mod do you nominate as most like each or any of the The Mod Squad characters? And why?

L-R in picture below:
    Linc Hayes (Angry ethnic guy with troubled past)
    Pete Cochran (Rich Kid with troubled past)
    Julie Barnes (Hot chick with troubled past)
    Captain Greer (Leader/Father figure)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300px-Tige_Andrews6.jpg  
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2002

mod

The blonde actor was Peggy Lipton. She was hot, but I didn't like the show.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The Mod Squad? Apart from the name there's probably better/more parallels to be found elsewhere in teeveeland.

Last edited by Maister; 16 Oct 2009 at 2:34 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The Mod Squad? Apart from the name there's probably better/more parallels to be found elsewhere in teeveeland.

I don't think so. The actors on Mash were funny.

Tom R is correct about Peggy Lipton playing Julie. My bad, I was keying over some links and got distracted (probably thinking about Peggy Lipton). Later in life, she was married to Quincy Jones for a number of years.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Can't decide whether Dan should be Captain Greer (father of Cyburbia and all that he does in this little world of ours); another choice is Bear Up North (as our older/wiser one, but is he a mod?); or possibly The One, ofos, but there are several choices...except RJ.

Gilligan's Island does work better.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    LOL Miester. I'm to young to really remember the "real" Mod Squad.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    "The Mod Squad" brings on yet another thought.
    Have any of you been watching "Life on Mars'?
    I am really enjoying it.

For those of you that have not. Cop falls and has a head trauma. He transports back to 1973 as a cop in his same parallell life.

I think they really missed it with the name but it really shows the difference in the social norms of today vs 1973. I am getting a big kick out of it. They pick up on a number of slight nuancess. For those of us around in those days it is interesting to watch. I also enjoyed "Swingtown", same kind of thing, social norms. That period of time has not been depicted well, it has been mostly forgotten.

It has been the first time that I remember being able to watch with my children and say, I remember doing or saying that.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Peggy Lipton

Peggy Lipton. I was not a fan of the show but I watched it on a regular basis.....because of Peggy Lipton. Wow!

She looked like the twin sister of my first love and when the show was on I was still hurting from that break-up.

Peggy Lipton.
    _____

Back to 2008, Mr. Bear.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Mar 2005, 3:47 AM