Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad School 2009 - CU Denver

May 2008
    California Central Coast

Grad School 2009 - CU Denver

Hi everyone!

I will be graduating from Iowa State in May 2009 with degrees (B.S.) in both Community & Regional Planning and Sociology.

I have always been interested in attending grad school directly after receiving my undergrad degrees and the current state of the economy has made that much more of an option.

The main university I am looking at is CU Denver. I am extremely interested in ending up somewhere in Colorado when I finally enter the work world so I thought this would be a good school to start looking at.

Has anyone been here? What is the planning program like? How is the campus/student life? Selectiveness of the university?

I am most interested in their Economic and Community Development Planning specialization.

I won't be able to visit prior to application (it just won't work out with class/work schedule) so I'm hoping I can get more information from all of you.

Jun 2003
    De Noc
    Has anyone been here ?
    The One and I have.

Some threads that have given opinions about, observations on and experiences of attending UCD:

How good is UC Denver? http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32901
    Attention: CU Denver alums, students http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31127
    Economic and community development programs at CU Denver any good?
    Selectivity of CU Denver? http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30542

How is the campus/student life ?
    When I went there, the classes were in the evening geared toward working students.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Mar 2004
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Blog entries

I really enjoyed my time at CU Denver. When I was there in the mid 1990's it was 2/3 night classes and 1/3 day classes, allowing for internships and even full time work while attending classes. Most interaction with other students took place in the studio classes when you had an assigned drafting table adjacent to the landscape architects, urban designers and architects. The campus is located in downtown Denver and adds to the appeal of the place. You can also live off the light rail line now or off a mainline bus route, since I believe they still require you to purchase a bus pass while a student, regardless of use. There are new residential units close to the school, but those are primarliy the very expensive lofts and condo projects developed since the early 1990's.

JNA, thanks for posting the thread links.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Oct 2008
    Northeast Iowa
    I'm also applying to CU-Denver for next year. I'd like to specialize in Land Use and Environmental planning and maybe try to get a GIS certificate as well. One of the reasons I want to got to CU-Denver is that I'd like to work in the West.

My biggest worry about getting in is my lack of work experience or internships. I did well in college (though my major was Spanish, with a Sociology minor) and I haven't yet taken the GRE- I generally do well on standarized tests, so I'm not overly concerned- but I wonder if my lack of experience in the field would be a problem. For the record, I've been a Spanish teacher, and I currently work in public lands management (supervisor at a conservation corps). I graduated in 2006.

Also, how important are essays for CU-Denver? I'm exploring what I want to focus on in these; I'm hoping to have my application completed by Dec. 1st.

Current CU Student

I actually started at CU Denver and am transferring to Iowa State!

CU is not very selective. If you have at least a 3.2, you'll most likely get in the Graduate School.

My experience at CU has been fantastic; I'm only transferring because I can't afford the out-of-state tuition right now (I'm from Iowa).

It's such a fun campus, and there is lots of stuff going on all the time. You'll get lots of free Sobe waters & T-shirts! The proximity to downtown is fantastic as well--you can easily go and eat anywhere downtown if you have a break sufficient in length. The only places to eat on campus are Taco Bell, McDonalds, Einstein's, Wok & Roll, Chick'Fil'A, etc. (No traditional dining halls!)

The parking is terrible though--there are lots of spaces, it's just expensive ($3-5 for the day...although if you park way by the Invesco Light Rail Station, it's only $1.25 a day). You do get to ride all RTD for FREE (light rails, buses, etc.) with your Student ID though, which is incredibly convenient! It costs $32 per semester, I believe---It's included in your student fees. Considering a bus ride costs about $1.75, it's a GREAT deal.

I absolutely LOVED every professor I had, and they were are fairly easy to access outside of class when I needed them. The students are all really diverse & friendly as well. The coursework as a general rule was easy--Most transfer students I knew were amazed at how easy their classes were. Frankly, some of my high school classes were harder! So I'll probably be in for a shock when I get to ISU, eh? Many more younger students are now attending than before, because they built student housing, so there are classes at all times. From 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. there are classes, so you can definitely work school around your schedule. I think the English program is a bit lax there, so don't overstress about the essays! The school IS NOT that tough.

People are really friendly in Denver. Everyone is from somewhere else, so they tend to be very helpful when you're looking for something.

The campus is beautiful. There's a bunch of little houses from when the town of Auraria was there. Faculty offices are located there now. I absolutely love being able to see Downtown Denver AND the mountains everyday while walking on campus. Not to mention Elitch's!

Anyway, I hope I was helpful. I loved it. I'm definitely going to return for Grad School there myself.

Mar 2009
    Denver, CO
    I think you are making an excellent choice in Cu Denver. Although I don't have personal experience, my husband received his degree in Anthropology there. He raves about the University and I'm certain all the grad programs are excellent---Denver is also a wonderful place to call home!

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it."
    ---Ralph Waldo Emerson

I Denver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1562
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 12:14 PM
  2. Replies: 68
    Last post: 17 Jul 2009, 1:53 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 2:37 AM
  4. Grad school right away?