Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: South Euclid, Ohio: classic mid-century Maywood (56K nope)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

South Euclid, Ohio: classic mid-century Maywood (56K nope)

Just a block away from my house, across Mayfield Road on the "good side" of the street, is the Maywood neighborhood. The area was subdivided in the 1920s, and a few houses were built before the Great Depression struck. After World War II, development resumed.

The streetscape is what I would call classic mid-century Americana; the kind of place where television commercials and sitcoms set in an ideal Middle American suburb would be filmed. The fall foliage just reinforces the setting.

One street in Maywood, Sheridan Road, is lined with houses that belie South Euclid's middle-middle class demographics.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quite a few McCain signs I see. I think you captured as many as there are in the entire city of Chicago (a bit of an exageration, but they are a rare sight).

Sheridan Road in your community seems similar to Sheridan Road in Chicago's north shore suburbs in terms of housing stock. You probably know Buffalo's Sheridan Dr. was named after Chicago's Sheridan Rd. I wonder if Cleveland's was.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Quite a few McCain signs I see. I think you captured as many as there are in the entire city of Chicago (a bit of an exageration, but they are a rare sight).
    Maywood is an odd little island of McCain signs in an otherwise solidly blue city. South Euclid is proud of being a stably racially integrated city, and in other neighborhoods Obama signs are far more plentiful, despite the nationwide shortage of Obama schwag. My block has four houses displaying Obama signs, and no McCain signs.

The largest house in this photo series bears an Obama sign, believe it or not.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Found a couple favorites.

Sit out front on the porch swing, talk to the neighbors. Read the paper.

Nice fence
    Last edited by Veloise; 28 Oct 2008 at 7:43 AM. Reason: front porches

Registered
    Mar 2004

WOW

I really like the homes and neighborhood look. Can I get one of the smaller homes for under $50,000 yet?

Also, this thread marks the very first time I've seen an Obama/Biden yard sign I saw one bumper sticker on a California car last week....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Also, this thread marks the very first time I've seen an Obama/Biden yard sign I saw one bumper sticker on a California car last week....
    Come to Chicagoland....they're everywhere.

Great set of photos, Dan. Looks like two central neighborhoods in the muni I work for. Same situation - subdivided in the late 1920s, a couple houses built, Great Depression stopped it, restarted in early 1950s with post WW2 suburban flight.

And actually, that brings up a interesting new thread topic - How the Great Depression stunted many subdivisions and did that aid the post WW2 suburban expansion in a substantive way? I could probably use my muni as a nice case study.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    These are my favorites. If I was going to have a custom home commissioned, these would be the inspiration.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    And actually, that brings up a interesting new thread topic - How the Great Depression stunted many subdivisions and did that aid the post WW2 suburban expansion in a substantive way? I could probably use my muni as a nice case study.
    I've been wanting to start a thread for a while about the effects of the Great Depression on the later built environment. There's still Depression fallout all over my part of town; along with the hundred of blocks with 25+ year gaps in homebuilding, there's streets to nowhere and paper streets, uncompleted projects, provisions for vast projects that were never built or fully realized, and projects that were conceived in the 1920s but were never built out until the 1970s and 1980s, and even then under much different circumstances.

Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I really like the homes and neighborhood look. Can I get one of the smaller homes for under $50,000 yet?|
    Not yet, but thanks to the subprime lending crisis, they're starting to approach the $125K range. I so wanted to buy a house around here, but they were too expensive when I was first househunting; usually $200K.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    ... thanks to the subprime lending crisis, they're starting to approach the $125K range. I so wanted to buy a house around here, but they were too expensive when I was first househunting; usually $200K.
    One next door to me is $16k. 3 BR, full basement, probably much like mine inside.

Registered
    May 2005
    When looking at the photos Dan, if I didn't know better, I could have assumed you took them in my Alger Heights neighborhood here in GR.

Interesting thing about the Alger Heights neighorhood is that it began post Depression, but construction of houses continued throughout WWII. I've read that it's the only neighborhood in Grand Rapids that had sizable home construction continue during WWII. My house was built in 1939.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    One next door to me is $16k. 3 BR, full basement, probably much like mine inside.
    $16K???? Typo or is it a real wreck?
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Captain Worley View post
    $16K???? Typo or is it a real wreck?
    Sixteen thousand dollars. It's not a wreck. On my little street are 14 houses, and at least seven are foreclosed upon, absentee owned.

One realty agent has his sign (and face!) out front of three of 'em. (When I noticed the rear yard faucet left on this summer, I called his office. No response, so I looked up the owner and she was there almost immediately. Why would you put your face on a billboard if you can't be responsible for the property??)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Sixteen thousand dollars. It's not a wreck. On my little street are 14 houses, and at least seven are foreclosed upon, absentee owned.

One realty agent has his sign (and face!) out front of three of 'em. (When I noticed the rear yard faucet left on this summer, I called his office. No response, so I looked up the owner and she was there almost immediately. Why would you put your face on a billboard if you can't be responsible for the property??)
    Whats the neighborhood like? I was under the impression that Grand Rapids had a relatively healthy economy. Houses that cheap are just screaming to be picked up my absentee landlords. Hopefully things will turn around.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Jun 2006, 6:38 PM
  2. Curtains vs. Euclid
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Jun 2006, 12:33 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 10:22 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last post: 24 Jul 2003, 3:38 AM