Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should I apply for this job?

Registered
    Sep 2007

Should I apply for this job?

I've got the master's degree in planning, an internship, and I did my Master's Final Project on a proposed commuter rail system in the area. I'm fresh out of school with little experience, but I was wondering if I should pass on this. I mean, I'm sure over time I can learn how to "administer and manage" and "coordinate projects with other agencies".

They want:

Qualifications:
    Masterís degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Urban Planning or closely related field or graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelorís degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field and two (2) years of experience where writing, presentation and meeting facilitation, computer, and analytical skills were required. This position requires strong writing, analytical, presentation and meeting facilitation skills. Equipment and computer software skills required include Windows-based computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping Printers, and Large Format Plotters.[ <-- nope]

Duties Include:
    Administration and management of Developments of Regional Impact (DRI) review and tracking data base system.
    Consultant contract administration and reporting responsibilities associated with transportation studies.
    Conduct and coordinate presentations to the public regarding a variety of transportation improvement projects.
    Assist in the development of the Comprehensive Policy Plan (Transportation Element).
    Responsible for the coordination of transportation projects with other County Departments and regional agencies.
    GIS Mapping.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Is it something you are interested in?
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Part of administering and managing involves knowing how to delegate, and when to call tech support. (I've known managers who couldn't run a copier, let alone a large format printer.)

Go for it. Perhaps they'll promote from within, and then your stuff will be conveniently on hand when they want to fill the lower-level slot. (That's how I got my first planner job.)

HTH

Registered
    Aug 2008
    If you can figure out how to use any desktop printer or copy machine these days you can figure out how to use a large format plotter. Did you have another job in college or any volunteer experience that involved administration and project managment? Think about everything that you have done and work it to your advantange.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Always apply, even if you are just shy of the experience. Can you make up for lack of experience with an extra degree or other course work? Let their HR Department tell you that you aren't qualified, don't assume.

I'm in a similar position right now, though I'm usually fighting to get my masters degree counted as 2 years of experience to get over that 10 year experience threshold instead of 8.5 years.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Go ahead and apply, because the job description is really a wish list. There are so few applicants out there that will meet 100% of all education, experience and specific job skills as listed, so if you want the job, apply for it!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    All they can say is no - but they may say yes and you'll never know unless you try. Seriously, as the other Plan-it said, if its something you want go for it.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I would agree with everything that every one else has said
    Go for it
    If nothing else it will be good interview experience

Registered
    Dec 2007
    All these quals and duties are pretty much standard. Get used to ads listing these.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In this economy, APPLY. The shotgun approach works 99% of the time.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    "administer" and "manage" are vague verbs, that are on a ton of job listings. Don't be intimidated by them.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Thanks everyone! I fill out their application. Funny, I viewed their application in pdf format and didn't see much about resumes. It was a county application though, then I guess if they like the app they'll ask for more. Anyway, y'all are right. The worst that can happen is I don't ever hear from them again. This process (looking for listings for people with no experience that don't cost them much) seems to be a lot of headaches. I hope the job is fun enough to where it's worth it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Aug 2011, 3:02 AM
  2. How soon should you apply while still in school?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Dec 2010, 2:13 PM
  3. Would you apply for this job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Sep 2010, 10:42 PM
  4. So should I apply?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 4:42 PM