Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Dating Rules thread

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

With February 14th fast approaching...

Does anybody have Valentines Day dating rules?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Not me.
    Why is that day any different from any other ?
    BTW Is valentines day a conspiracy by the card, jewelry, candy, flowers and lingerie industry ?

OK so I am clueless single old guy.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    :goes to check state dance calendar hanging on the fridge:

My mentor is calling one near the D. "Hug coupons" are sold.
    Holy moley, there are seven contra dances that night! Road trip!!

Registered
    May 2005
    I would say that one of my overriding rules for dating while married (Valentine's Day or otherwise), is to not get stuck doing the same things all the time or going to the same places.

It's very easy to get stuck in a rut of going to the places that you really like over and over and over again. Sure, you both like it, but after awhile it becomes predictable and I start to feel more like her friend than the guy she fell in love with.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    NEVER make a joke when a lady excuses herself from the table to use the facilities or when she comes back, "did everything come out ok?" This happened to me when I went on a date with someone I was acquainted with to their company holiday party...the table was full of people. That was our last date.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

Dating Wisdom -- From someone that really didn't date.

The following is based on observation, not experience -- I've had colorful friends.

If the date involves bail money, it's not a real date and it probably won't be a good date.

If requesting a date involves an exchange of money, it's not a real date, but it might be a good date, who knows.

If you are required to call or email a 3rd party in order to schedule a date, it's not a real date and it could be a scary date.

Drinking before the date to ensure you have a good time on the date is not a good sign that you will have a real or good date.

Blacking out and not remembering who slept with you is a good sign that it was not a real or good date.

For a male, any date personally involving more than one female and any degree of nudity is automatically a real and good date, regardless of circumstances.

Any date involving sex but occuring within the parents home may be a real date but is very likely not a good date.

Any date involving sober sex is a real and good date, regardless of any other circumstances.
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    As a singleton, I'm totally ignoring Valentine's Day. Even the guy who I've been quasi-dating can't handle the pressure so I've taken it completely off the table! Unless you're in a committed relationship, either have an anti-Vday party, attend one, or stay home. Those are the options, in my opinion.

(Incidentally, I'm really mad to be single on a year when Valentine's Day falls on a holiday weekend. Not only do I not get to go away for a romantic weekend, but I also don't have the option to go visit couples out of town or take a (coupled) friend to someplace cool! Seriously makes me angry!)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner... View post
    As a singleton, I'm totally ignoring Valentine's Day. Even the guy who I've been quasi-dating can't handle the pressure so I've taken it completely off the table! Unless you're in a committed relationship, either have an anti-Vday party, attend one, or stay home. Those are the options, in my opinion.

(Incidentally, I'm really mad to be single on a year when Valentine's Day falls on a holiday weekend. Not only do I not get to go away for a romantic weekend, but I also don't have the option to go visit couples out of town or take a (coupled) friend to someplace cool! Seriously makes me angry!)
    Go find a contra dance!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    R.T. makes a good date. We will probably go have pedicures and have dinner. Yeah, it's a girl thing.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you need a day that compels you to be romantic then you have bigger problems that need to be addressed.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner... View post

I completely understand! Because of my exhusbands work schedule (full time prof firefighter) we have this completely whacked out schedule with out daughter. It's like every 2 or 3 nights she switches. It works well for us, but just sucks. But anyway, I digress. Because of the schedule, I only get 4 full weekends without my daughter a year. And the first one just happens to fall on that weekend.

I'm not mad, but guess just kind of bummed that I have the ability to do something, but really nothing to do. blah! And anyone I could travel to see has a significant other so I really don't want to intrude....

Registered
    Feb 2007

I don't date, haven't for 30 years or so. I just know Valentines Day is dangerous. My sons were born November 15th and 16th.

Several years apart.

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If you need a day that compels you to be romantic then you have bigger problems that need to be addressed.
    ^^The inspiration for ties of this fabric...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Speaking of Valentine's Day...

So, there's this girl I sorta like who's phone number I got at a party a couple weeks ago. She was busy going on a vacation and moving and whatnot, so I haven't called her yet. Well, anyways, I would like to call her now and ask her out on a date, however, is it a bad idea to pick Valentine's Day as a first date? Is the pressure too great? Would I be better off picking Friday the 13th for a date? Two potentially dangerous days back-to-back...I don't know. Should I just wait til next week?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

So, there's this girl I sorta like who's phone number I got at a party a couple weeks ago. She was busy going on a vacation and moving and whatnot, so I haven't called her yet. Well, anyways, I would like to call her now and ask her out on a date, however, is it a bad idea to pick Valentine's Day as a first date? Is the pressure too great? Would I be better off picking Friday the 13th for a date? Two potentially dangerous days back-to-back...I don't know. Should I just wait til next week?
    Valentine's Day, especially in the evening is not a great day for a first day....lots of pressure and its very crowded at all the restaurants. I'd say go for either Friday or maybe a low-key Saturday afternoon-type date. Good Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    ^^Agreed. Ask her for coffee, afternoon time frame. Bring along a **small** chocolate heart (the individual serving size sold in bulk food tubs) and a low-key card (one out of a "classroom pack" is fine). A carnation if you must.

If she's single and available, she likely has no boy-related plans for V-Day, and she'll be pleased. (And she'll run home and order bridesmaids dresses. Chicks are like that.)

Oh, and do not get tickets for the annual celebration of V-Day and Body Parts That Start With the Letter "V" which I know is playing in your college town this month. It is not a date event.

HTH

--old single gal

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

I'd call her and ask her out for either Friday or Sunday and skip V-Day altogether.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wouldn't go on a first date, or even second, on Valentine's Day. It would be awkward and possibly creepy. Ask her out Friday or Sunday.

Registered
    May 2004

Bumping thread...

...to go along with the "worst date" discussion.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Any holiday is difficult early in a relationship. Expectations are just too high.

Last year, I had a date on Easter. Risky, I know. It went okay, until she saw her ex-boyfriend's son, busing tables at the restaurant we were at.

One of my rules for early date: quiet, not-too-upscale indie restaurants with interesting cuisine in pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods, downtowns, or village centers with a decent amount of foot traffic. Plenty of good choices in this town.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Wow, what a blast from the past. To update everyone, I wound up picking Friday the 13th over Valentine's Day. It wasn't a bad date, but the restaurants were still nonetheless packed with people going out for Valentine's Day. The dating led to a relationship, but ended after one and a half years. So while I avoided Valentine's Day, maybe picking Friday the 13th was still a bad omen. For first dates, I would recommend everyone avoid either Valentine's Day (or the nearest weekends) or the 13th of any month, just to be on the safe side.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Dating Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1608
    Last post: 28 Oct 2014, 11:53 AM
  2. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12