Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: More angry: liberals or conservatives?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    I wonder how you can pigeonhole James Kunstler as a liberal?
    fringe:

He is a smug asshole who thinks Americans are stupid because we used our post-WWII wealth to do things -gasp- like build suburbs and freeway systems. He generally thinks we ought to be ashamed of this, and this is typical of liberal thinking to mock personal freedom and choices.

BTW, I am a left-leaning Democrat and am appalled by the Bush administration in every respect. But I find a lot of talking-head liberals to be ingratiating because of how they argue points and conduct themselves. I chose to bash Kunstler because his smug, egomaniacal style is probably the worst example of these types.

So what if he's a bright guy and a lot smarter than me? He's still an asshole.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 31 Oct 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Dear Red States:

We've decided we're leaving. We intend to form our own country, and
    we're taking the other Blue States with us.
    Peace out,

Blue States
    PLease note that you are taking the states with the highest employment rates and crime rates to create your new country. Oh, and who is going to provide defense inside and outside of your country??

Just some things to think about as you begin your new life.

I belive that the left is more angry than than the right. But It's not the anger of the left that bothers me, it's your condescension and smugness towards anyone that disagrees with you. You point fingers and assign blame, but don't actually solve the country's problems.

How is it possible that democrats think they have never been wrong about anything and republicans are the root of all evil?!?
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by prudence View post
    PLease note that you are taking the states with the highest employment rates and crime rates to create your new country. Oh, and who is going to provide defense inside and outside of your country??

Just some things to think about as you begin your new life.
    And what pleasant thoughts! The employment rates are linked to failed Bush policy, and crime rates will be just fine once we legalize drugs and install reasonable gun laws. I mean really, the National Rifle Association? Not many people have a problem with rifles that aren't preceded by assault! Oh, I know... guns don't kill people... It just makes it a whole lot easier to kill people at a faster rate of speed... So leave the pistols and assault weapons to law enforcement and armies.

By the way, there is a little place called Switzerland in Europe. It hasn't had an international conflict since 1815, even though it was smack in the middle of two world wars. Perhaps they didn't just piss everyone off like Ol Dubya has done. There's a lot to be said for financial stability and foreign diplomacy.

Quote Originally posted by prudence View post
    How is it possible that democrats think they have never been wrong about anything and republicans are the root of all evil?!?
    Really? You think that?

Ask any Democrat here (I am not one) and I'll bet they believe neither points of that statement are even remotely true. What does anger people is years of an administration who cares not one whit about what anyone thinks but their cronies, and does whatever they want regardless of the people actually want. Now, I ask you... Do you really think any reasonable person of any party believes the Democrats don't pull the same stunts in Washington? C'mon... But until they do away with the pardons (How you doin', Scooter?!), and the lobbyist, and make selling out a treasonous offense, were stuck with it. All of us.

Some rules need to change, and perhaps starting a new country makes us dream of such things. Sure you don't want to come along? I bet we agree on more things than than we differ. But... you have to promise to bring New Orleans... Po'Boys and Mardi Gras rule.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Jul 2010, 11:38 AM
  2. How Angry Is Your City?
    Cities and Places