Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grand Rapids, great neighborhoods

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Grand Rapids, great neighborhoods

Rather than continue to hijack Dan's thread, here's a new one.

Went realty-site shopping earlier today. There are many properties for less than $30K (thirty thousand, no typo) in the less exclusive 'hoods in town.

My little street is near the farmer's market, which consists of a two-way parking lot with a canopy support down the middle. Longer-range plans for it entail construction of a brick building for a year 'round indoors market, and making the parking static rather than constant. I figured this area would only come back up.

Here's my street (and my tree) last fall.

GRPS are supposed to be less than stellar, which causes families with a choice to make other arrangements. Wide variety of neighborhoods; mine's from the late 19thC with narrow lots and single-car driveways.
    Population is around 200,000 and a high percentage of those are college kids.

If GR was on a ballot, I'd vote for it. I've lived in several towns and places; for the first time in my adult life, I feel like I'm home.
    Last edited by Veloise; 29 Oct 2008 at 7:40 PM.

Registered
    May 2004

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My two years in Wyoming, MI were not the best (too conservative) but we loved our neighborhood 1271 Den Hertog, Off of Michael just a few blocks south of 28th. Incredible walk score. We could walk everywhere (including work).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The inlaws now live in Allandale Township (super sprawl) and Jenison (ditto) so when we go out there we always gravitate to Grand Rapids proper. A good tapas place, good neighborhoods. I liked Wealthy Street (brick streets are rare). Its like a little piece of urbanism - "last city til Chicago..."

Allandale grows so quickly it amazes me. One small bright spot was a retrofit of an existing supermarket strip with upper story apartments on Lake Michgan Drive. But it seems a small gesture in a sea of rampant auto-oriented development.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Great Thread

I too love Grand Rapids neighborhoods! In fact, Heritage Hill was one of the first residential historic districts in the US.

Furthermore, it has such a wide range of housing opportunities and there is a house for just about everyone. Some of the foreclosed properties are going for half of what they previously costs. There are some serious deals to be had.

It also helps that it is in the center of everything and walking distance to downtown, uptown, the medical hill (or medical mile), and the eclectic area known as east town.

*it is a bit longer walk to the market, but it sounds like they will be expanding that opportunity!
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    ...*it is a bit longer walk to the market, but it sounds like they will be expanding that opportunity!
    I'm now a muckety-muck (planning professor's lingo, circa 1978) on the board of the Midtown Assn. Farmer's Market upgrade plans, capital campaign...stay turned.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grand Rapids, MI?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 May 2014, 1:29 PM
  2. ArtPrize in Grand Rapids
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Oct 2010, 11:42 PM
  3. Greetings from Grand Rapids
    Introduce Yourself