Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

2009 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

With only about 3.5 short months to go before pitchers and catchers report, there should be some good junque out there about the forthcoming season. Let's hear it!

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Boy you started this early, but I just heard on the radio today that there are 89 days until spring training!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Looks like the Bravos gave up on Peavy. The Cubbies are still in the running for him, tho
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Boy you started this early, but I just heard on the radio today that there are 89 days until spring training!!!
    Hey, I started the last two right after the WS and yes, there's only three short months to go before pitchers and catchers report!

Anyways, what's the latest on where Sabathia's gonna end up?

Oh yea, there is also a lot of buzz here with the Brewers signing a new Minor League agreement with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, their new Midwest League (Class 'A') affiliate here in Appleton.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Word on the street is $140 million for 6 years with the Yankmees for C.C. - I don't know if he'll fit the NY mold. Whatever the case he is going to be a richer boy...as well as Texiera, Manny and a few others.

Our local Class A team has changed affiliates. We have been a part of the Pirates organization for last 8 or 9 years and now we are with the Texas Rangers. This should be much better.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Hey, I started the last two right after the WS and yes, there's only three short months to go before pitchers and catchers report!

Anyways, what's the latest on where Sabathia's gonna end up?

Mike
    I think y'all will wind up with Kerry Woods as a free agent. He's a good pitcher when healthy. As for C.C., I have no idea. Wherever he winds up, he will be with a contender and being making a whole bunch of money.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005

Yankmees trying to buy another title

CC = $160 million for 7 years
    or $22.86 million per year
    or $705,555.55 per game (32.5 games if he pitches every fifth day of the season)
    or $100,793.65 per inning (assuming he pitches 7 innings in those 32.5 games)
    or $33,597.88 per out (because there are 3 outs in an inning)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    That's assuming he throws complete games huh? I heard on KNBR that the giants would at least try to go after him, but not at $160 mil asking price. God, we already have a bomb of a pitcher named zitto. I guess i will be bringing my brown paper bag yet again to games this year.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Has anyone else noticed that the Mets are the new Yankees? Except for the winning. Oh wait, no, it's the same...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Dodgers in talk with Furcal
    Wait the Braves are in talks with Furcal
    Braves verbally agree to a deal with Furcal = $30 mil for 3 years, option for 4
    No, the Dodgers sign a deal with Furcal = $30 mil for 3 years, option for 4
    Braves President John Scherholtz goes off on Furcal's agent

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Dodgers in talk with Furcal
    Wait the Braves are in talks with Furcal
    Braves verbally agree to a deal with Furcal = $30 mil for 3 years, option for 4
    No, the Dodgers sign a deal with Furcal = $30 mil for 3 years, option for 4
    Braves President John Scherholtz goes off on Furcal's agent
    Schuerholz has gone as far as saying that the Braves will never sign another one of Arn Tellem's clients (not sure what that means for Pete Moylan, a Tellem client currently under contract). Furcal's first game back in the ATL with the Dodgers this season could be ugly.

Frank Wren hasn't done too well this offseason - no Peavy, no Burnett, overpaid for Vazquez, and now this.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    Tiger's signed Misy May-Treanor's husband to battle for the catcher position.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Schuerholz has gone as far as saying that the Braves will never sign another one of Arn Tellem's clients (not sure what that means for Pete Moylan, a Tellem client currently under contract). Furcal's first game back in the ATL with the Dodgers this season could be ugly.

Frank Wren hasn't done too well this offseason - no Peavy, no Burnett, overpaid for Vazquez, and now this.
    I have not liked any of Wren actions this off season except trying to get Peavy. A least Wren realized he was getting taken to the cleaners unlike the Vazquez trade.

I was relieved that Furcal bolted, I was never a fan of his striekouts, lack of hustle and throwing errors. The Braves would have over paid for Burnett and his blister prone finger so I a happy he is in pin stripes.

I thought the Braves needed pitching a big bat. They have tried for pitching but wheres the bat?

It looks like another year with no Braves baseball in October.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I have not liked any of Wren actions this off season except trying to get Peavy. A least Wren realized he was getting taken to the cleaners unlike the Vazquez trade.

I was relieved that Furcal bolted, I was never a fan of his striekouts, lack of hustle and throwing errors. The Braves would have over paid for Burnett and his blister prone finger so I a happy he is in pin stripes.

I thought the Braves needed pitching a big bat. They have tried for pitching but wheres the bat?

It looks like another year with no Braves baseball in October.
    I was hoping y'all would get Furcal so my Cardinals could work out a deal to send Ankiel to y'all in exchange for Y. Escobar.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I was hoping y'all would get Furcal so my Cardinals could work out a deal to send Ankiel to y'all in exchange for Y. Escobar.
    I still remeber Ankiel from his last pitching preformance in 2000 in the NLDS. How many wild pitches did he throw?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

I still remeber Ankiel from his last pitching preformance in 2000 in the NLDS. How many wild pitches did he throw?
    Yeah, i remember -- you don't have to remind me. He did knock 25 HR this year, though.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I wasn't all that keen on getting Furcal unless he played 2nd and they left Yunel at SS. That may be the reason he decided to stay in LA so he could continue to play SS.

Los Bravos need pitching, speed at the top of the order and defense in left and 2nd...as well as a bat. Maybe the CF rook/prospect (Bubba, is his name Anderson?) will help with speed.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Josh Anderson...speed demon, above average defense, very little power. The Braves really need to add some power somewhere in the lineup.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Josh Anderson...speed demon, above average defense, very little power. The Braves really need to add some power somewhere in the lineup.
    Do you think that Tommy Hanson or Jordan Schafer will make the team this year? Hanson was unhittable in the AFL but I did not hear how Schafer did in Mexico or was it Venzula?

The Braves could go after Ben Sheets, they are going to be a quality pitcher short on the DL.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Do you think that Tommy Hanson or Jordan Schafer will make the team this year? Hanson was unhittable in the AFL but I did not hear how Schafer did in Mexico or was it Venzula?

Schafer injured a finger in Mexico, which cut his winter ball season short - not broken, so he should be ready to go in February. He should be in the mix for a spot on the 25 man roster if he has his head screwed on straight this year. Hanson - maybe some spot starts in the first half, working into the rotation later in the season (I think I heard that possibillity a couple of weeks ago)..at the rate Wren is going, though, Hanson could end up having to be our #3 starter in April.

The Braves could go after Ben Sheets, they are going to be a quality pitcher short on the DL.
    We do need to replace Hampton somehow.

Registered
    Jun 2007

Teixeira moves yet again...

The Yankees picked up Mark Teixeira for an 8-year, $180 million contract. D@mn them all. (disgruntled Rangers fan talking)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    The Yankees picked up Mark Teixeira for an 8-year, $180 million contract. D@mn them all. (disgruntled Rangers fan talking)
    Mr. Un-clutch...have fun with the New York press. Here's how the Yankees and that deal were summarized on another board:

Texeira = Abreu + Giambi
    AJ Burnett = Carl Pavano
    CC Sabathia = a few trips to BK from eating his way out of baseball
    Joba Chamberlain = fat drunk
    A-Rod = Mr. April
    Jeter = old and declining
    Matsui = old and declining
    Damon = old and declining

Yankees finish 3rd again this year....

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The Kansas City Royals will win the AL Central in 2009.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Randy Johnson. 45 years old. $8 million for one year + incentives. Have the Giants gone completely insane? This is another Zito screw-up. Sabean is an idiot.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...VR01.DTL&tsp=1

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Git 'Em Tigers !!!

Detroit Tigers!

Last year's Hot Stove League predictions had the Detroit Tigers picked to win the World Series. Unfortunately for Tiger fans, we started very slow and never really participated in the pennant race. The defense was horrible, clutch hitting was non-existent, relief pitching was really bad. There were some bright spots, especially a team batting percentage that generally improved over the season.

This year (2009) the Detroit Tigers will not be on anybody's list as an eventual World Series winner. That is fine with this Bear.

Off-season moves include a shortstop, a catcher, and a healthy and strong starting pitcher. Hopefully, before the season kicks in, Detroit will shore-up their bullpen.
    _____

Even with much improvement, the Tige's play in the very-competitive American League Central. The Chicago White Sox and the Minnesota Twins both had great seasons last year....expect more of the same. Cleveland's Indians started slow but finished as one of the hottest teams in baseball. Kansas City's Royals are hoping that this is finally the year that they once again become competitive.
    _____

It's just Hot Stove Season......but its' time to say: Go Get 'Em Tigers!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 251