• Unwritten rule that it's a no-no

6 18.18%
  • Allowed and encouraged

1 3.03%
  • Allowed if the boss' candidate is who I am pushing

0 0%
  • Allowed but don't shove it down people's throats at the cooler

5 15.15%
  • you taking my rights away as a citizen? avast ye mates!

0 0%
  • I am sick of polls of any kind

2 6.06%
  • what is this campaigning of which you speak

2 6.06%
  • other, more articulate answer than shwon above

7 21.21%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are you allowed to campaign?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Are you allowed to campaign?

My contract/personnel rules do not allow us to campaign - no Obama buttons at work kind of things

I am okay with this because I think residents don't need my bias shoved down their throats and if I have any political capital/power, it shouldn't be used this way

how about you?

polling

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My employer is cool with it, as long as it's not done during working hours or using County equipment. I would never do it out of personal practice. One never knows how the political winds will shift and people have long memories.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    No campaigning for anyone who's jurisdiction the citizens of our community are under. No president, governor, state justices, council persons, commissioners, etc. Neighboring state legislature district or congressional district, ok.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Allowed but I work on the dark side. It wasn't allowed when I worked for the city or county as we were mandated to be non-partisan. I adored the two managers that I worked with as they sat me down and gave me the "you are now a public employee and so...." speech where everything was made crystal clear.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I'm self employed, so I can do whatever I want.

My wife, on the other hand, as an employee of the Federal Aviation Administration, is very strictly prohibited from any campaign activity by the "Hatch Act".

Her union has endorsed Obama. Even though her workplace is completely out of public view, she could get into trouble for something as innocuous as delivering campaign materials, that another union member had requested, if that delivery took place inside her facility.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Probably not (even though I'm private sector)...I do know we are forbidden from making any sort of political contribution, so I imagine that ban is extended to campaigning (which could be viewed as an in-kind contribution).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Allowed (not during work hours), but I'm a seasonal intern, and most of my campaigning is done at school. If I am doing something in-town (esp. for a candidate who represents the town), I usually ask permission, and because I had the courtesy to ask, I am usually allowed.

Political discussions come up in the office from time to time, but I usually try to remain silent, somewhat neutral, and only offer my opinion if asked. I have bumper stickers on my car, which I, on occassion, use for town business, but nobody's ever said anything to me about it.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Private firm with (mostly) like-minded individuals. The firm contributes money to state campaigns, but stays out of local races.

Discussion is actively encouraged in the office.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

You can have campaign stickers on your car but not in the office.All campaigning has to be on your own time. My employer doesn't care, but I do work in a county in which there are few members of the Republican party, so if you're working for the Democrates, you can stretch the boundaries a little, but still no working the phones on county time.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    From the ICMA code of ethics:

Tenet 7

Refrain from all political activities which undermine public confidence in professional administrators. Refrain from participation in the election of the members of the employing legislative body.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No campaigning of any kind on public time. State law. I can do what I want on my own time, and with my own resources. I do not participate in any political activity other than voting to avoid issues of prejudice.

After work on Tuesday I will be a particular gathering place where people of a certain political persuasion will be celebrating (I hope). If a particular presidential candidate wins I will be proudly flying my American flag again.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's considered coercion under Florida Statue and it's prohibited during work hours.
    Why would a gov't employee even consider this?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In the 3 public agencies for which I worked, in FL, you could campaign for anyone you wanted. Just not during working hours and no use of government equipment. And I totally understood that. It's bad enough when someone tries to get you buy gift wrap for their kid's school; imagine being hammered by a McCain crazy.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am a member of the ICMA and we are not allowed to campaign

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The Man even sent a memo to every office to remind them - NO.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Under our rules of conduct, especially as a Department Head, I do not even talk about politics at work. I do not want to be accused of creating a hostile work environment. We do have personal conduct rules regarding political actions and speech by public employees, but they do not stop you from participating in a campaign if you want. Unwritten rule, as a planner that is supposed to keep the public/political trust, why would you jeopardize your own reputation by pissing off Democrat on the Board by working for a Republican election campaign, or visa-a-versa.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Fat Cat View post
    I am a member of the ICMA and we are not allowed to campaign
    Ever go to the national conference?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i have no idea, but i choose not to.

my dept. talks politics all the time. plus Rush is always on in the background.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I can campaign. I can't solicit contributions. I can't run for partisan office.

There are other, more complex rules, but that's it in a nutshell. I think erring on the side of caution where this is concerned is a pretty good idea. Oh, and I don't talk politics at work. It's a stupid move.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Mar 2012, 10:31 AM
  2. Interpretation How do you judge allowed uses?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 4:42 AM
  3. Engineers Allowed?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 May 2010, 2:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 8:38 AM
  5. Replies: 61
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 9:30 PM