Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The management experience question....

Registered
    Jul 2003

The management experience question....

Hello all, long time troller here, I dont post very often
    I have been interviewing for several jobs and although I feel that I have a pretty solid resume, I don't have any direct experience managing other people and I think that it has kept me from getting some pretty good jobs. What do you feel is the best way to address this question when it comes up in an interview? I have experience as a Development Director but it was a one-person department. It's kind of a catch-22, people want you to have management experience but you can't get the experience until someone lets you get your foot in the door. Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Have you managed anything outside of the office? I'm thinking of a charity organization, a special event, a political campaignanything where you had the authority to direct other people or do things that managers do, such as prepare budgets.

Other jobs? Shift manager at McDonald's?

Anything inside the office like a task force, committee, special project where you had some management authority?

#1 thing: don't lie about it. You can spin your experience, but keep it in the realm of straight-faced spin.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    did you have an intern?

help out teaching a class at your local college?

coordinate development review type meeting with fellow department heads/colleagues?

be on a committee as a voting member?

regularly chair a meeting?

be on the board of your local APA chapter or other professional organization?

manage a project/effort that included volunteers?

coordinate an event?

these are all considered management skills - so list them and point out what you had to do and what skills were required

management skills over people doesn't just mean knowing HR, it's about managing situations with people involved

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Dec 2011, 3:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 May 2010, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2007, 6:06 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Apr 2006, 8:56 PM