Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Clean" business overlay zone

Registered
    Aug 2008

"Clean" business overlay zone

I'm working on a Redevelopment Plan for an older 1920's residential neighborhood that was overlayed with a "light-industrial" zone in the 1970s, which predictably resulted in today's current situation, a low-income neighborhood with tons of auto body shops, collision/repair facilities, and other warehouses.

With this redevelopment plan, the City wants to get rid of these businesses because of their practices of sanding and painting outdoors, however there is an outcry from the community that there are many "good" and "non-polluting" businesses that should be able to stay.

I've been tasked with researching "clean business" criteria to create an overlay zone that would allow certain "clean" uses to stay. However, there is no information on the web about zones that attempt to weed out the polluters and keep the cleaner businesses.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by LibPlanner View post
    ....the City wants to get rid of these businesses because of their practices of sanding and painting outdoors.....
    Off-topic:
    Does your Air Pollution Control District know about this? They can be pretty picky in California. At least that was my experience.

The EPA has been putting a lot of resources in a lot of places to control auto painting shops. They are not clean in the slightest.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 May 2012, 2:24 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Oct 2004, 1:22 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Jul 2002, 2:20 PM