Urban planning community

Poll results: As everyone knows this election is turning out to be unprecedented in voter turn-out. How was your

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Done in 1-5 minutes

10 20.41%
  • Done in 6-10 minutes

6 12.24%
  • Done in 11-15 minutes

5 10.20%
  • Longer than the McDonald's queue in Soviet Russia.

11 22.45%
  • Absentee vote

6 12.24%
  • Early vote

9 18.37%
  • I bribed the volunteers to get to the front of the line

0 0%
  • I am a convicted felon, so I can't vote in this state

0 0%
  • I refuse to vote.

0 0%
  • There's an election going on today

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

2 4.08%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: How was your polling station?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

How was your polling station?

Not bad, had to pry the I VOTED TODAY...DID YOU sticker away from the election official (after all, why else do you vote)?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

how long is the wait at a McDonald's in Soviet Russia?

20-30 minutes - got my sticker too, a flu shot and a brownie

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I must have been in the que for a Big Mac in Leningrad.

Roughly an hour from start to finish but no complaints from me.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    About 20 minutes total, but it should have been less - the layout for the room was flat out retarded - there were four different bottlenecks in the room for foot traffic. With the usual layout, everyone circulates through in a circular fashion, but today's set-up forced you to double back twice through the crowd of folks behind you. Moronic...must have been laid out by a GDOT engineer...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I drove by mine this morning just to see (I was an early voter). Based on the lines for our primary several months ago and how long I knew those took, I'd say it was about a 15-20 minute line at 7:30am (30 minutes after the poll opened).

I'll check again this evening on my way home.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    35+ minutes waiting outside in the rain. First big rain of the year here in perpetually sunny San Diego.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Around 8AM this morning there was a line halfway around the polling location. probably a 45 minute wait. I'm going to leave work a bit early and try my luck in the 3:30-4:00PM hour. I'll post an update at that time.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Hooray for the blue mailbox on the corner

Favorite City had the ballot back to me within two days of my dropping my absent voter app into the mail stream. I think I'll make up a badge, I VOTED ABSENTEE, and wear that for the duration.

Last night I led a daddy-daughter square dance at a church. Upon departure, in rolled the tabulator and voting stations. About ten little election elves busily stamping the forms, setting up the balloting stations, taping off 10' around the tabulator.
    (Sheesh. They said it's a new state rule. I said get you some legal-size file folders, use those as secrecy folders. They had a tape measure and laid masking tape on the floor.)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I went at 2:30 pm. From start to finish the whole process didn't take more than three minutes... Mid-morning and mid-afternoon are the best times to go.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    My polling station smelled like cow *&%$. Literally. It's right across the street from a large dairy farm. I *love* living in the country

But anyway, went at 2ish and there was no one there. Population of the township is only about 1500. In the City though, there were lines of up to an hour or more this morning and at lunch time.

Registered
    May 2005
    The wife and I got in line at 11:30 and we were done voting within 25 minutes I think. Which is weird because some of the other poll locations in Grand Rapids were running hour-long waits. One local news report had one wait at 3 hours. I think it really depends on how efficient the election workers are at the individual locations.

FYI: Grand Rapids uses optical scan machines in all of its polls (I think).

Registered
    Jul 1998
    10 minutes tops, not bad since it took me five just to color in the ovals.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    About 20 minutes total, but it should have been less - the layout for the room was flat out retarded - there were four different bottlenecks in the room for foot traffic. With the usual layout, everyone circulates through in a circular fashion, but today's set-up forced you to double back twice through the crowd of folks behind you. Moronic...must have been laid out by a GDOT engineer...
    Change 20 to 40 and what Bubba said...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Five minutes.

They don't give us "I Voted" stickers anymore because some pervert was "placing" them on women's chests during the last election. And here I was planning to be a poll worker when I retired.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I have never waited more than 5 minutes to vote in any election ever. However, today made up for it. 3 1/2 Hours to vote today! The poll workers told us until the census is done in 2010 and with all the growth in the last 5-8 years the district has over 3500 registered voters and there are no plans to redistrict until the census. 8 machines running and our ballot was 5 pages long with 3 state and 1 local questions (Sunday Beer Sales!). If I'm still here next year I am voting by absentee ballot early.

Just a few pictures of Charleston Area Polling Places
    Last edited by Tide; 04 Nov 2008 at 5:40 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I voted early at the courthouse about a week ago, where it took me about 5-10 minutes, start to finish.

Today, I had pollwatching duties for about 2 hours though, from 8am-10pm. There was definitely a good steady stream of people, but I'd say most people got through in 5-10 minutes (including voting). I heard though that just before I arrived, from 6am-8am, it was a madhouse, with double lines forming at each precinct. It seemed that half the electorate had voted by the time I got there at 8am.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

isn't that special?

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

They don't give us "I Voted" stickers anymore because some pervert was "placing" them on women's chests during the last election. And here I was planning to be a poll worker when I retired.
    Tea on my the lap top at that comment! Hilarious - only in Florida!

we have church ladies up here - they announce each person into a microphone and you have to stand there while they look up your name - they announce me as soon as they see me, being a small town and all and everyone behind me chuckles - a little awkward but whatever

the guy that watches you put your ballot in the machine thingy said to me: wow, LP, they let you vote - that doesn't seem fair somehow" - wtf?

it is frightening who counts the votes, if you think about it - so, don't...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Oregon doesn't have polling places. All voting is by mail. I voted a couple of weeks ago. No line at the mailbox.

When I lived in Virginia the poll watchers would loudly announce, "Otis has voted." Now I do that when I mail the ballot. Somehow it's not the same. I do like the ability to peruse the ballot and look things up as I fill in my ballot on the dining room table.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Oregon doesn't have polling places. All voting is by mail. I voted a couple of weeks ago. No line at the mailbox.

When I lived in Virginia the poll watchers would loudly announce, "Otis has voted." Now I do that when I mail the ballot. Somehow it's not the same. I do like the ability to peruse the ballot and look things up as I fill in my ballot on the dining room table.
    I miss vote by mail in Oregon

It took about 20 minutes. Miraculously my name was in the register. I had my doubts because I wasn't asked for any ID when I registered and didn't get a precinct card in the mail although I got a sample ballot. The electronic voting machine was weird though....looked like a big giant print out of the paper ballot. No "I Voted" stickers, must be a budgetary issue.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Maybe 10 minutes or so. I went mid-morning. The voting room (in a nursing home) was rather tiny so much so that all the "booths" weren't being used since there was no room to access them.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have voted absentee for a number of years because of employment location vs voting location. Couldnt get back in time to vote and left before the polls opened.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    It took 40 minutes here. There were pretty good lines this morning at 7:00 am
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

We went at 10. It took us until 11:30. Lots of tv cameras at the poll cuz of the long line.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Drove by three on the way home and one parking lot was full, the other two not so much. I did hear that one polling place had very few voters on Tuesday because 2/3 of the people in that district had voted early.

On the sticker front - When I voted early, they had a roll of stickers just sitting on the table as you left. If you wanted one, just take it. If you wanted the whole roll, just take it. I actually took two and wore one the day I voted and one yesterday.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Commiseration Station
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 24 Jul 2014, 9:36 AM
  2. Gas station cleanup
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 3:30 AM
  3. Gas Station Separation
    Transportation Planning