Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good Luck President Obama

Registered
    Oct 2001

Good Luck President Obama

Tonight the writing is so very clearly on the wall. Even with a public education I can do the math. So, please let me be the first of the Cyburbia conservatives to congratulate you on your night of triumph. You earned your victory and I have much respect for the way you went about it. I'll likely never agree with much more than about a third of your political positions but I truly do wish you the best in your term as president. I want to see you succeed in creating a safer and more democratic world, with a stable Middle East, and a world in which America is considered the best friend of our fellow democracies. I'd like to see our economy recover, the war wrap up with honor and I want to see this nation heal our increasingly nasty divide in which identity politics and economic status determines how many American think about fundamental issues of right and wrong.

Most of all I want to thank you for your example. Your story is inspiring. Through smarts, hard work and force of personality you rose from some challenging life circumstances and grabbed the golden ring. Through your example I hope every boy and girl, no matter what religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual preference knows that the American Dream is also for them. I think you may help many people who had previously dismissed the American dream rediscover what this great nation is all about. It is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a government program which will guarantee happiness.

Please rest up, celebrate, mourn your grandmother and then get to work. My nation is now in your hands. Please take good care of it. Many people suffered and died to get you where you are tonight. You owe them your best.

May God bless you these next four years, President Barrack Obama.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sen McCain made a very classy concession speech tonight.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Agreed. It was very classy.

His election represents so much to so many. Even if you didn't vote for him, I think all of us can be proud tonight.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    McCain's speech was very good. If he would have been this clear and classy during the campaign, he might have won. I don't envy Obama and I'm sure why anyone in their right mind would want the job. We've been driven into a pretty good ditch with no clear way out. May the Lord be with us all.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    McCain's concession was very classy indeed and a great departure from elections past. Obama is paying homage to him right now in his speech talking about McCain's service to America both in the military and an elected official.

Quote Originally posted by Thomas Friedman
    In his famous Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln urged every American to take on “the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far nobly advanced.” That work remained unfinished, though, for a century and a half. For despite decades of civil rights legislation, judicial interventions and social activism — despite Brown v. Board of Education, Martin Luther King’s I-have-a-dream crusade and the 1964 Civil Rights Act — the Civil War could never truly be said to be over until America’s white majority actually elected an African-American as president.

That is what happened Tuesday night, and that is why we wake up to a different country. Yes, the struggle for equality is never done. But we can start afresh now from a whole new baseline. Let every child and every citizen and every new immigrant know that from this day forward: Everything really is possible in America.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2002
    McCain's concession speech was very gracious, even with the crowd booing. It's a shame that he did not run his campaign as such. I truly think that the angry approach cost him the wide margin that he lost by.

I only hope this feeling of bi-partison patriotism continues for at least the next four years. consolatory.

My only snarky comment is, where are all the burning urban centers the freepers have been predicting?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm pretty hammered so I will make this short...

I remember where I was when the Challenger exploded and where I was when the Berlin Wall came down and where I was when Obama gave his victory speech!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Several months ago, a headline of a newspaper in the UK read "America Finally Gets It Right", with photos of Obama and McCain. The headline implied that, for once, there was a choice of two well-regarded, presidential presidential candidates. If McCain won, I think he still would have been a good president; at least as good as George Herbert Walker Bush.

Among a sea of snarkish postings on Fark, this one stood out as speaking tens of thousands of words for one simple image:

Hasn't looked so wonderful for years.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    From this side of the pond (and at the risk of sounding patronising), I'd like to say 'Well Done America'.

Without Obama even making a single policy change I think you will see the world's view of you guys and your country shift for the better. When I saw the news on the BBC this morning I did feel a slight moistening of my eyes...

Excellent stuff.
    Last edited by HarryFossettsHat; 05 Nov 2008 at 5:01 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    The brother of one of my co-workers was the guy who said the Pledge of Allegiance at Grant Park, before Obama came out. She's a very proud person today.

But really, we are all feeling very proud.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    McCain is a great guy. Without the campaign managers around, he will return to doing great things for the country.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I know we had a President Cabinet thread going around, but what do you think of Obama outting McCain in some sort of cabinet or similar type position?

President-elect Obama does have many issues to face. Hopefully all can help to make the United States a better and more respected place (and not try to tear it down). I'm glad to live in this country, free to make choices.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Michael Moore: "pinch me"

Posted to another forum.

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008

Friends,

Who among us is not at a loss for words? Tears pour out. Tears of joy. Tears of relief. A stunning, whopping landslide of hope in a time of deep despair.

In a nation that was founded on genocide and then built on the backs of slaves, it was an unexpected moment, shocking in its simplicity: Barack Obama, a good man, a black man, said he would bring change to Washington, and the majority of the country liked that idea. The racists were present throughout the campaign and in the voting booth. But they are no longer the majority, and we will see their flame of hate fizzle out in our lifetime.

There was another important "first" last night. Never before in our history has an avowed anti-war candidate been elected president during a time of war. I hope President-elect Obama remembers that as he considers expanding the war in Afghanistan. The faith we now have will be lost if he forgets the main issue on which he beat his fellow Dems in the primaries and then a great war hero in the general election: The people of America are tired of war. Sick and tired. And their voice was loud and clear yesterday.

It's been an inexcusable 44 years since a Democrat running for president has received even just 51% of the vote. That's because most Americans haven't really liked the Democrats. They see them as rarely having the guts to get the job done or stand up for the working people they say they support. Well, here's their chance. It has been handed to them, via the voting public, in the form of a man who is not a party hack, not a set-for-life Beltway bureaucrat. Will he now become one of them, or will he force them to be more like him? We pray for the latter.
    But today we celebrate this triumph of decency over personal attack, of peace over war, of intelligence over a belief that Adam and Eve rode around on dinosaurs just 6,000 years ago. What will it be like to have a smart president? Science, banished for eight years, will return. Imagine supporting our country's greatest minds as they seek to cure illness, discover new forms of energy, and work to save the planet. I know, pinch me.

We may, just possibly, also see a time of refreshing openness, enlightenment and creativity. The arts and the artists will not be seen as the enemy. Perhaps art will be explored in order to discover the greater truths. When FDR was ushered in with his landslide in 1932, what followed was Frank Capra and Preston Sturgis, Woody Guthrie and John Steinbeck, Dorothea Lange and Orson Welles. All week long I have been inundated with media asking me, "gee, Mike, what will you do now that Bush is gone?" Are they kidding? What will it be like to work and create in an environment that nurtures and supports film and the arts, science and invention, and the freedom to be whatever you want to be? Watch a thousand flowers bloom! We've entered a new era, and if I could sum up our collective first thought of this new era, it is this: Anything Is Possible.

An African American has been elected President of the United States! Anything is possible! We can wrestle our economy out of the hands of the reckless rich and return it to the people. Anything is possible! Every citizen can be guaranteed health care. Anything is possible! We can stop melting the polar ice caps. Anything is possible! Those who have committed war crimes will be brought to justice. Anything is possible.

We really don't have much time. There is big work to do. But this is the week for all of us to revel in this great moment. Be humble about it. Do not treat the Republicans in your life the way they have treated you the past eight years. Show them the grace and goodness that Barack Obama exuded throughout the campaign. Though called every name in the book, he refused to lower himself to the gutter and sling the mud back. Can we follow his example? I know, it will be hard.

I want to thank everyone who gave of their time and resources to make this victory happen. It's been a long road, and huge damage has been done to this great country, not to mention to many of you who have lost your jobs, gone bankrupt from medical bills, or suffered through a loved one being shipped off to Iraq. We will now work to repair this damage, and it won't be easy.

But what a way to start! Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th President of the United States. Wow. Seriously, wow.

Yours,
    Michael Moore
    MichaelMoore.com <http://www.michaelmoore.com/>

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    McCain is a great guy. Without the campaign managers around, he will return to doing great things for the country.
    Let's hope. McCain is something the Republican Party has had too little of - a person who comes from the middle, acts on principle, and seeks change that some would call progressive. Unfortunately we have seen too little of these characteristics from him in the last several years, as he sought to mend fences and build "conservative" credentials in order to gain the nomination. I wonder how he might have faired if he had stood up to Bush, instead of backing him many times during the last eight years. Maybe now we can see a return of the old McCain.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Goin' to the dogs

http://www.akc.org/poll/special/presidential.cfm

I hope they select an animal that needs rescuing from a local humane society.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 288
    Last post: 21 Sep 2012, 2:15 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 9:31 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 6:27 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Sep 2004, 11:29 AM