Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Civil service test response time

Registered
    Jul 2008

Civil service test response time

Hello all:

Last week, I took my first civil service test, which listed that it be filled when the next opening appears. Due to the economy, I'm pessimitic about even the position being filed, as I'm sure the municipality is trying to cut the appropriations as much as possible.

Since the position will be filled whenever there is an opening, when would you think I would hear a call back? I'm guessing not for the next few months, but hoping for something sooner.

Also, there was a person in the test site who worked for the municipality. Why would she be taking the test if she already had a secure job there? Strange. I think if they had an opening, she would probably get the job if we are equally qualified, since she has public sector experience and familiarity with the municipality.

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    someone in my office took the CSE for an account clerk a while back and she was told that they wouldn't have the results for 4-6 weeks. this was for a CSE for a municipal position.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by KangaroosRule View post
    Also, there was a person in the test site who worked for the municipality. Why would she be taking the test if she already had a secure job there? Strange. I think if they had an opening, she would probably get the job if we are equally qualified, since she has public sector experience and familiarity with the municipality.
    Perhaps that woman was already in the position the exam was for? Provision appointments dependant upon finishing in the top three on the civil service exam are not unusual at all in New York State.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    Perhaps that woman was already in the position the exam was for? Provision appointments dependant upon finishing in the top three on the civil service exam are not unusual at all in New York State.
    Bingo. That's my situation. Testing in December.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    Yeah, I think you're right. Dah well, if I'm qualified enough and theres an opening, I might be in like Flynn.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Outdated civil service exams
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Apr 2014, 9:38 AM
  2. NYS Civil Service Exam
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2012, 10:03 AM
  3. Civil service exams