Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interpreting a sign ordinance [Was: Signage common or master plan]

Registered
    Aug 2008

Interpreting a sign ordinance [Was: Signage common or master plan]

As an ex-officio, ad hoc, OJT zoning admin man I am just dipping toes in the high muddy waters of sign regulation.

Our ordinance includes sections re Common or Master Signage plan, which makes good common sense for a parcel where a building or set of buildings are supposed to make a coherent presentation to the public eye.

A plan submitted for my review regards a multi-tenant commercial building.

Total or aggregate area limit is set by one of three approaches. One is a set area limit, stated as 100 SF. Another is calculated at 8 per cent of building footprint, while a third is calculated at 4 SF per linear foot of building frontage.

Both calcs yield approx 800 SF limit for total of potential eleven tenants. The rule says to use the smallest figure of all the three.

The one hundred limit looks too small in relation to the thers, and I think it is a typo error. To divide eleven tenants into 100 feet is ridiculous.

Does anyone have similar sets of area restrictions, or does anyone agree with me that something looks funny about the three choices?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Something is very wrong with the wording. Look at the entire code to see if there is any clarification, especially the definitions. Check other communities in your area that adopted regs around the same time as yours--to see if is was copied without the error.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    This sounds like each sign individually cannot be more than 100SF but for a multi tenant building such as this you are allowed a total of 800SF for a total of 8 tenants. Without seeing the actual ordinance that seems to make the most sense from what you have portrayed.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I tried to post the little table, but it's PDF copied and pasted as an image and won't work here with my lack of sophistication.

The ordinance copy right above the table looks like this:

10.3.4 Computation of Maximum Total Permitted Sign Area for a Zone Lot.

The permitted sum of the area of all individual signs on a zone lot shall be computed by applying the formula contained in the Table below, Maximum Total Sign Area, to the lot frontage, building frontage, or wall area, as appropriate, for the Zoning District in which the lot is located. Lots fronting on two or more streets are allowed the permitted sign area for each street frontage. However, the total sign area that is oriented toward a particular street may not exceed the portion of the lotís total sign area allocation that is derived from the lot, building, or wall area frontage on that street.

The subject zone is called C2 Highway Business. The C2 column lists 100 as max total area, followed by alternates of 8% of building ground floor area and 4 SF per linear feet of frontage.

So far my checks of neighboring ordinances hasn't mentioned common sign plans as an idea, but do restrict wall signs by percentage of wall area.

I will keep pecking at finding some comparisons. To follow the strict interp of what I'm given to work with yields signs that are like specs against a sea of brick facade.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Sign ordinance help
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Sep 2009, 4:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 6:29 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Master signage plans
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 May 2006, 11:13 AM
  4. Signs / billboards Master Sign Plans - Yea or Nay?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Dec 2003, 4:11 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Feb 2003, 4:00 PM