Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CSU-Pomona MURP: alumni/students?

Registered
    Oct 2008

CSU-Pomona MURP: alumni/students?

I'm thinking about applying for admission to CSU-Pomona's planning program next fall. Their curriculum seems solid, but I'm having trouble find out much about the school. Is it a well-regarded program in the region, and how does it compare to Cal Poly at SLO?

I'm also wondering if it would be harder to get internships while attending school there, since USC, UCLA, and SLO are all relatively close.

Any insight into the school or Pomona would be appreciated.

Thanks,

NT

I asked my professors and TAs about Cal Poly and most say that such programs are more concerned with traditional urban planning (i.e. zoning). They also are good for those who want to stay local. If you want to get into transportation and planning policy, look into UCLA. For international and commercial development look into USC. I am not a fan of UCI's program. If you want to work in So. Cal, I'd suggest UCLA or USC rather than SLO or Pomona.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    They are all good schools. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your master's? I personally view cal poly Pomona as the little "red headed" step child to Cal Poly SLO, but hey i am biased so what do you expect? UCLA and USC are good programs as well, but if your looking at strictly a cost stand point Cal Poly Pomona probably has more bang for your buck when you factor in cost of living, cost of education, etc.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I work in transportation planning/engineering and both Cal Poly schools are highly regarded... SLO is the golden child, but Pomona still has a good reputation. (Again, all I know is about their transportation programs). In terms of internships, many firms have offices closer to Pomona, in Ontario/Riverside/San Bernardino, which would be really tough to get to from LA but not too bad from Pomona. If you want to work during the school year, you'll have more opportunities in Pomona than SLO because of resources nearby.

Registered
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the input. What I find attractive about the school is that it seems to provide a very solid education in the fundamentals of planning. My primary interest is in growth management in Western cities, so I've been looking at other programs in the interior West (few), but I figured that with a degree from Pomona I wouldn't have a problem finding a job even outside of California.

Good to hear that there are jobs nearby.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Nov 2012, 9:34 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 11 Sep 2012, 8:14 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2009, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 12:49 PM
  5. UT-Austin CRP Alumni
    Student Commons