Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The perfect gift

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

The perfect gift

For some time I have believed that this would be: a set of new wiper blades ...installed

It's the sort of thing one never gets around to doing until there's a slushy muddy mixture of "slud" on the windshield. And by then it's freezing cold and of course the blasted things are not on sale. Imagine your giftee's surprise and delight, settling into the front seat, turning on the wipers...and they are perfect.

--Alumni band shirt, embroidered with my name and instrument. Sis stopped by a table in the band hall; we went to homecoming, I played with the band, she did some advance holiday shopping.

--Custom calendar with family pics. My brother priced these at Kinko's, and decided to make our own. Seems like he did up the first ones the year they got married, and they just celebrated #20. Each person gets to star in their birthday months. (I am usually the star of several months since Some People don't seem to be able to operate a digital camera, let alone hit SEND.) It has inspired a new phrase: "that's one for the calendar."

--One year I gave each family member a subscription to a magazine of their interest. (Why can't Gift Card Sis extend my GR Press or Sunday Freep?)

--For my 50th b-day I threw myself a contra dance party. My brother, in Texas, not only showed up, but he also "bought a bike," donated one unit's worth to my Elves & More good cause.

--The year our mama turned 60, us four kids collaborated and sent her five dozen yellow roses. (Her favorite color.) She cried.

--For one of my birthdays, I sent her flowers. She cried.

--For one of my sis' birthdays, I took her grade school daughters shopping. We picked out several celo packs of carnations, and the kiddos arranged them in a vase.

--One year for Christmas, I took my other sister wardrobe shopping at a thrift store. She had just landed a professional job, and we left with enough "corp casual" separates for her to get through several weeks on the job. (My outlay: around $50)

--A workplace secretary was in for a surprise. Her fiancee told her, "we're going out to dinner." She didn't eat all day. This was on a Friday in January, and she came back on Tuesday, all pinky tanned. He'd picked her up at work and taken her to the airport, where they flew to the Bahamas! Her mother had packed a bag for her, and the boss was in collusion, giving her a couple extra days off.

--Brother has a boat. He looooves his boat. He made up some business cards (inkjet) offering his services for fishing trip charters. Since I get constant freebie offers from Vistaprint.com, I designed up some professional business cards for him, and got the 250 glossy finish set (only cost to me was shipping). And I got him and SIL matching T-shirts: the boat on the back, small photo of it on the front, and their names and titles. (He's Captain, she's Admiral.) Since it was getting close to Dec 25, I had these shipped directly to their house, and the box arrived Dec 23.

Have at it, folks.
    Last edited by Veloise; 09 Nov 2008 at 7:33 PM. Reason: forgot about the boat

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I usually don't get jack for my birthday or Christmas and so it is rare that I give a gift to anyone other than my daughter. I do have good gift giving skills though, mostly because I try to put a lot of thought into putting something together and prefer to make something handmade or thematic based on a person's interest. My secret santa recipients know
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Before Christmas a couple of years ago, we were shopping for a sofa. Wife saw a chair she fell in love with. Comfy, design and fabric fit the rest of our living room. I kept saying that we did not need another chair, and the cost was a little too much for something we didn't need. She agreed. I went back Christmas Eve and got it. It is the only chair she uses now. One of the rare times for a surprise.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    aw that is very santa of you, now take her back to the shop and show her the loveseat!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I always ask Santa for coal... I mean, what's he going to do?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Packaging

A small, thoughtful, size-insignificant item can be made memorable with the nesting gift boxes scheme. Add some noise-makers (a few small nails, kernels of popping corn) and clever notes at various places in the sequence.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Perfect Name
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 1:31 PM
  2. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 8:30 AM
  3. Help Pick the Perfect Gift
    Friday Afternoon Club