Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Waiczis practice tests: anything like the AICP exam?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Waiczis practice tests: anything like the AICP exam?

After sifting through the 1,000 pages of Waiczis study material (and tossing about half of it out), I have been using his two different glossaries and an outline of the study material to prepare digital flash cards on various topics. I also add additional items from planningprep and the AICP Exam Prep (both printed and CD information) onto the flash cards.

I have gone over some of the flash cards every day (probably have written close to 1,000 by now). On planningprep, my scores are averaging 70-90% and around the same score on the 50 question "exams" from AICP Exam Prep. Most of the questions on these two types practice exams cover a wide range of topics (ethics, functional areas, planning processes, etc.). Almost all of Waiczis practice exams seem heavily skewed towards one or two areas. One exam was mostly enviornmental, and I am taking a break from one exam that is heavy on planning management. I am scoring between 55-70% on Waiczis exams. His questions are way way more complex and/or extraneous than the others. Although I will admit his glossaries have been very helpful.

For those of you who have used Waiczis' study material and taken the exam, would you say that his types of questions are more prevalent on the test. Is the exam FAR easier than he makes it out to be? I am hedging my bets and going with the "easier" route for my first exam. No sense making this exam more stressful than it needs to be.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    The biggest thing that I took away from his study materials, that I feel helped me to pass on the first try, was that above all ETHICS. In the scenario questions, if you aren't sure about the answer, choose the most ethical answer... even if it is totally unrealistic in your opinion.

Memorize what you can memorize with the flashcards you are making (I did the same thing) as far as case law, famous planners, famous communities, terminology and history. Other than those things... you either know it or you don't.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP exam 2008
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 118
    Last post: 27 Dec 2008, 9:00 AM
  2. AICP exam in 11/07
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 02 May 2008, 6:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM