Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning programs that offer travel opportunities

Registered
    Sep 2008

Planning programs that offer travel opportunities

in your experience, what programs give you the best opportunities to travel. ive heard nyu is very nyc focused (obviously)...does that mean no trips to say africa/india/hong kong? i'm very interested in exploring urban landscapes overseas, i'm just wondering what programs offer this type of experience.

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Please use descriptive thread titles in the professional forums. Title edited. Thanks and carry on!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    My alma mater, Ball State University's College of Architecture and Planning offers quite a few travel opportunities throughout the US and around the world. All three programs, (Arch, L. Arch, and Planning) each usually take at least one trip per year many times two. They also have PolyArk, an interdisciplinary program, that typically focuses on longer trips overseas. Check out their website, they have quite a bit of information. www.bsu.edu/cap

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    In the schools I'm applying to, Harvard, MIT and UCLA all provide classes (or summer classes) that go abroad, notably China. The trips at Harvard are included in tuition, but not sure about the others

Registered
    Dec 2006
    MIT has a large number of studios and workshops that take place across the world, with most of them being fully funded (no money out of the students pocket for travel and room / board). Examples I know of are listed below:

Fall 2008
    Cartagena, Colombia
    Mumbai, India (two different workshops / studios)
    Tama New Town, Japan (outside of Tokyo)
    Haiti
    Paris, France
    Italy

Winter / Spring 2009
    Shenzhen, China
    Tama New Town, Japan (outside of Tokyo)
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Delhi, India

Keep in mind, these are just the opportunities I am aware of. Often times planning students can participate in studios in Architecture and the Media Lab, but these opportunities aren't widely advertised (nor announced at all for spring 2009 yet).
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Fanshawe College in London, Ontario has a semester trip to italy where u get schooled in italy, the proffs go with u for 4 weeks. They also do field trips to Toronto, Detroit and Chicago and sometimes NYC.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Wayne State University has offered summer study abroad programs in both Mexico and South Africa over the past couple of years and I am told they are planning one to somewhere in Europe or China next year as well.

If I recall correctly, a lot of the study abroad at Wayne State also has students from other nearby universities attending (most notably, Michigan State University).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    UWaterloo School of Planning trips:

NYC (every few years)
    Chicago (yearly)
    Toronto (regularly throughout the year)
    Various locations in southern Ontario (ditto)
    Oxford, UK (yearly in exchange)

UCLA has a summer travel study program which is new (don't know if others are offered). The focus of the program is to study global change in the context of international governance in Geneva. I am unsure about fees, but compared to other travel study programs it is a great deal. I will probably enroll in it soon, so feel free to drop me a line after summer asking about it, if you'd like.

Registered
    May 2008
    UC Davis offers some interesting programs over the summer - it doesn't have a planning program and the focus of the classes isn't zoning or standards but last year they did one on the history of St. Petersburg with a side trip to Moscow, and one on urbanization in India in Bangalore. I couldn't go because I lost my passport Also the International Honors Program runs a course called Cities in the 21st Century that tours you around the world for a semester covering urban form on at least three continents. That website is here.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hullcorey View post
    My alma mater, Ball State University's College of Architecture and Planning offers quite a few travel opportunities throughout the US and around the world. All three programs, (Arch, L. Arch, and Planning) each usually take at least one trip per year many times two. They also have PolyArk, an interdisciplinary program, that typically focuses on longer trips overseas. Check out their website, they have quite a bit of information. www.bsu.edu/cap
    I attend Rutgers but participated in BSU's highly regarded CapAsia semester this past spring. Pick the program you want to attend and will give you what you want but most allow for credits to be transferred in from a semester abroad hosted by another school. It was pretty easy in my experience and CapAsia had people from six different universities this time.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by ToPlanIsMyFuture View post
    UCLA has a summer travel study program which is new (don't know if others are offered). The focus of the program is to study global change in the context of international governance in Geneva. I am unsure about fees, but compared to other travel study programs it is a great deal. I will probably enroll in it soon, so feel free to drop me a line after summer asking about it, if you'd like.
    I know it has been a while since your posting, but did you end up doing the Travel Study?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jul 2013, 6:32 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jun 2012, 2:23 PM
  3. Canadian planning opportunities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jun 2010, 4:04 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 12:37 AM