Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The TV set at the auto repair shop/ tire place

Registered
    Jan 2005

The TV set at the auto repair shop/ tire place

Why is it that your local auto repair shop always has the worst TV set imaginable in the waiting area? We're talking AT LEAST 10 years old AND the crappiest model AT THAT TIME. Where do they get these pieces of sh#t? These are the ones you decided weren't good enough for your basement and junk at the take-it-or-leave it section of the dump. Actually so bad that your kids wouldn't take it; they would actually go without the priviledge of television in their bedroom than suffer watching such a P.O.S.

It never fails to amaze me. Even these spiffy new tire chains with $300 tires and fancy rims lying around have the most horrendous cheapo TV sets. Picture quality sucks, sound is absymbal, monitor's way to small (rarely more than 19"), and your lucky to find the remote (luckier if it actually works). The thing I don't understand is that these places usually have cable, so if you're going to shell out $50 a month or so providing your customers with the pleasures of cable television, can't you find a TV set that is at least halfway decent rather than something you'd have to pay someone to take?

I understand that people are jerks and break stuff so I wouldn't expect a flatscreen with LCD, HDTV and all that jazz. Just a decent, functioning tube set of a reputable brand would be nice. Know what I'm saying?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The last time I had to deal with this was the day John-John aka JFK JR. went down in a stupid plane wreck. Tragic, but kept me occupied for hours

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've noticed the phenomenon at the VW dealer in the days when I owned a Passat. Upscale waiting area, no repaie less than a thousand bucks, entertainment provided by a 12" Emerson black-and-white magazine and three years of Tire Dealer Monthly back issues. The local Subie dealer is somewhat better, with a 19" color set (CRT) and DirecTV.

The worst are urgent care centers. 50" plasmas to tease you, but the set is locked on some wellness channel with quizzes about osteoporosis and blurbs about the USDA food pyramid. My doctor's office also has the plasma, but it airs nothing but Cleveland Clinic promos.

What about hotels? I didn't pay $129 a night to have a 25 year old RCA in my room, with the green gun of the CRT blown out, which can get only 12 channels.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hmmm.... in Aug I was in Orlando and went to my old Honda dealer for regular maintenance and they'd upgraded from maybe a 25" console to a huge flat-screen with a handy remote. The Honda dealer here in the panhandle has maybe a 19" up on the wall, but the picture's decent.

Our dentist has a flat-screen at every chair. Unfortunately, since I'm usually horizontal with something buzzing in my mouth, I can't really see/hear much of what's on the tube.

Registered
    Jul 1998

AIB Chet Without context...

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I'm usually horizontal with something buzzing in my mouth, I can't really see/hear much of what's on the tube.

I couldn't resist.............
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: You guys are pervs....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I'm usually horizontal with something buzzing in my mouth, I can't really see/hear much of what's on the tube.
    I this is why I keep coming back to Cyburbia.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Giff... the next time I see you I will spit the Pepsi directly on you.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Was this a typical Cyburbian thread derailment ?
    Set up by ZG, excellent follow through by giff57, with the usual reactions by RJ and Chet.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Was this a typical Cyburbian thread derailment ?
    I don't know, but it could be some type of record: thread hijacked on the fourth reply...by a Mod, no less.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Funny but Lincoln dealer by my house has a great TV I watch while getting the oil changed or tires rotated. Then again its only a few blocks from the HQ.....
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Come on guys, its the owners set he has rotated from his kids room that was only used to play video games (after it left the parents bedrrom and in the living room before that). When he brought it to the shop he wrote it off as a business expense - 'cept the receipt he used was for the new 42" plasma that's sitting in his house now (and it will show up in his car repair shop in about 20 years).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    he wrote it off as a business expense - 'cept the receipt he used was for the new 42" plasma that's sitting in his house now.
    The Gospel as told by Planit.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I guess I'll ask the question: what difference does the quality of the television make? EVERYTHING THAT IS ON IS CRAP! Except for college basketball.

You may now resume your normal slacking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I guess I'll ask the question: what difference does the quality of the television make? EVERYTHING THAT IS ON IS CRAP! Except for college basketball.

You may now resume your normal slacking.
    JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    My observation has been that in Canada these TVs are usually tuned to CNN. It's sad. There are options!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Jan 2012, 9:46 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2011, 3:24 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Apr 2008, 1:35 PM
  4. Auto repair out of a house?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Oct 2004, 7:10 PM