Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the difference between a grammar
    and a grammar ??
    schadenfreude?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Yup, I know; it's a usage that's taking over. Looked it up.

Epicene they

It still grates, like hearing "you guys" when the subjects are female. Or a diatribe about dancing and how men twirl women, but if the gal resists, "they" are "a" bad dancer. Huh?

While looking for stuff, Me also found this.
    Be glad that you do not have to speak one or more of most of the other European languages as your dominant tongue - English is the European oddball WRT grammatical gender as all English language nouns are considered 'neuter'. Spanish, and I assume several other Romance languages as well, is especially chauvinistic here in that, for example, if you are addressing a very large group (as in thousands) of females in Spanish, you address and refer to them in the feminine gender - but if even ONE male shows up, the language requires that you then address and refer to the entire crowd in the masculine. It's just the way it is.

MIke

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Be glad that you do not have to speak one or more of most of the other European languages as your dominant tongue - English is the European oddball WRT grammatical gender as all English language nouns are considered 'neuter'. Spanish, and I assume several other Romance languages as well, is especially chauvinistic here in that, for example, if you are addressing a very large group (as in thousands) of females in Spanish, you address and refer to them in the feminine gender - but if even ONE male shows up, the language requires that you then address and refer to the entire crowd in the masculine. It's just the way it is.
    Yo hablo español, y creo que este ^^^ no es verdad.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post

MIke
    ¡No!
    A bloke who shows up to a gathering of thousands of Spanish ladies is obviously up to no good. He's arrested & promptly taken away and it's still the feminine plural.

Registered
    Apr 2013
    This has been bugging me lately:

Should the singular or plural verb be used after the alternative (s) on a noun? Example: "The included street(s) [is/are] paved to specifications." Is, or are? To my ear, "are" seems less offensive. I'm fairly certain any of my writing professors would have advised that the sentence be re-worded so as to avoid this problem.

Moderator note:
    Maister: moved from RTDNTOTO8 for higher visibility. Carry on.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    This has been bugging me lately:

Should the singular or plural verb be used after the alternative (s) on a noun? Example: "The included street(s) [is/are] paved to specifications." Is, or are? To my ear, "are" seems less offensive. I'm fairly certain any of my writing professors would have advised that the sentence be re-worded so as to avoid this problem.

Moderator note:
    Maister: moved from RTDNTOTO8 for higher visibility. Carry on.
    That is a horribly convoluted construction. You can avoid the whole issue by rewriting. Each included street is . . . All included streets are . . .

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Some local flair

Here are Some Dafynitions to Start Your Day.

20 Clever Words for Clever people

READ SLOWLY . . . IT MAY TAKE A MINUTE FOR THE LIGHT TO SHINE

1. ARBITRATOR: A cook that leaves Arby's to work at McDonalds
    2. AVOIDABLE: What a bullfighter tries to do
    3. BERNADETTE: The act of torching a mortgage
    4. BURGLARIZE: What a crook sees with
    5. CONTROL: A short, ugly inmate
    6. COUNTERFEITERS: Workers who put together kitchen cabinets
    7. ECLIPSE: What an English barber does for a living
    8. EYEDROPPER: A clumsy Ophthalmologist
    9. HEROES: What a guy in a boat does
    10. LEFT BANK: What the robber did when his bag was full of money
    11. MISTY: How golfers create divots
    12. PARADOX: Two physicians
    13. PARASITES: What you see from the top of the Eiffel Tower
    14. PHARMACIST: A helper on the farm
    15. POLARIZE: What penguins see with
    16. PRIMATE: Removing your spouse from in front of the TV
    17. RELIEF: What trees do in the spring
    18. RUBBERNECK: What you do to relax your wife
    19. SELFISH: What the owner of a seafood store does
    20. SUDAFED: Brought litigation against a government official
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. This floor needs to be swept desperately?
    or
    2. This floor desperately needs to be swept?

When I worked for Baskin-Robbins the store manager once asked me to do option #1 so I proceeded to act desperate while sweeping. He laughed.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    1. This floor needs to be swept desperately?
    or
    2. This floor desperately needs to be swept?

When I worked for Baskin-Robbins the store manager once asked me to do option #1 so I proceeded to act desperate while sweeping. He laughed.
    This floor is in desperate need of sweeping.

Or, in the local vernacular: This floor needs swept.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    This floor is in desperate need of sweeping.

Or, in the local vernacular: This floor needs swept.
    I be sweeping this floor, ya hear me!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    It's not just grammar when one is writing about a floor; inanimate objects can not "desperate", unless the writer is deliberately anthropomorphizing them.
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 19 May 2013 at 5:18 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Here in east TN, locals use the infinitive almost as an conditional tense:

Would you mind to sweep the floor?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    OK, this is more of a punctuation issue than a grammar issue, but I just have to file a complaint... somewhere.

From a report published by a prominent commercial real estate brokerage (verbatim):

Qualified Landlord's that can easily accomplish the tenant's requirements for improvements seem to engage the qualified Tenant's more easily. A major obstacle to overcome is for smaller Landlord's with older shopping centers or freestanding retail properties struggling with an aging inventory... Issues also arise with Town's that have rigid zoning and signage laws not conducive to attracting fresh business. These Landlord's may be forced to charge lower rents to attract Tenant's but may also be strapped to invest Tenant Improvement dollars; bottom line is a vicious circle; Landlord's need qualified Tenant's that will sign long term leases... Bottom line is there are fewer of these qualified local type Tenant's to fill these aging spaces.
    Maybe the company doesn't think people read these reports. Unbelievable!

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Qualified Landlord's that can easily accomplish the tenant's requirements for improvements seem to engage the qualified Tenant's more easily. A major obstacle to overcome is for smaller Landlord's with older shopping centers or freestanding retail properties struggling with an aging inventory... Issues also arise with Town's that have rigid zoning and signage laws not conducive to attracting fresh business. These Landlord's may be forced to charge lower rents to attract Tenant's but may also be strapped to invest Tenant Improvement dollars; bottom line is a vicious circle; Landlord's need qualified Tenant's that will sign long term leases... Bottom line is there are fewer of these qualified local type Tenant's to fill these aging spaces.
    Auuuugh!!! My eyes are bleeding from that assault!

Also the words are gibberish in that order.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    OK, this is more of a punctuation issue than a grammar issue, but I just have to file a complaint... somewhere.

From a report published by a prominent commercial real estate brokerage (verbatim):

Maybe the company doesn't think people read these reports. Unbelievable!
    reads like an Environmental Impact Statement.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't you just HATE it when people start verbing perfectly good nouns?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Lightning. Lightening. Big difference.

It strikes me odd the number of unenlightened people who use the terms incorrectly.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm trying to find a nice way to tell the new secretary that she got the "q" in "adequate" and "inadequate" backwards. They're on Post-its for everyone to see.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I'm trying to find a nice way to tell the new secretary that she got the "q" in "adequate" and "inadequate" backwards. They're on Post-its for everyone to see.
    So she spelled "adequate" as "adepuate?" Is that how she got the "q" backwards?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    So she spelled "adequate" as "adepuate?" Is that how she got the "q" backwards?
    Adeguate.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Grammar Nazi discussion subforum
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Apr 2007, 9:20 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Feb 2007, 6:39 PM