Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Illinois-Chicago thoughts

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008

University of Illinois-Chicago thoughts

I was accepted for the MUPP program at UIC, but have deferred because I took a job for a year to get a little more experience with the recommendation of Professors. I have head it's a good program and have seen it ranked in the top 5 according to certain sites which is a draw, I would also receive in-state tuition which is nice, and finally I really enjoy the city. However, I have been looking at other Universities as well just for some options. I was just wondering what people thought of the program etc, and or if people have other recommendations as to programs to look at...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    I just got into the MARE program. Any thoughts on that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    PM jsk1983, he is currently in the program.

On a side note, UIUC, not UIC, is ranked in the top five, although I really don't know why. I didn't care much for the urban planning program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    PM jsk1983, he is currently in the program.

On a side note, UIUC, not UIC, is ranked in the top five, although I really don't know why. I didn't care much for the urban planning program.
    Is he in the MUPP or Real Estate program? Thanks alot for the info!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ^He is in the MUPP program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    ^He is in the MUPP program.
    Huh? Jared, you must have been totally wasted when we hung out during the state conference in October . I graduated from the BAUP program in '03 and have been working as a planner/designer in Chicagoland. I refuse to enroll in the MUP program or any other program at Urbana. I think it's a terrible program and a waste of time and money. Although, I don't mind getting out of the office and doing a pro-bono presentation down there once in a while to beef up the portfolio

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Huh? Jared, you must have been totally wasted when we hung out during the state conference in October . I graduated from the BAUP program in '03 and have been working as a planner/designer in Chicagoland. I refuse to enroll in the MUP program or any other program at Urbana. I think it's a terrible program and a waste of time and money. Although, I don't mind getting out of the office and doing a pro-bono presentation down there once in a while to beef up the portfolio
    I wasn't actually referring to you. I was referring to myself but ended up being confusing more than anything.

Anyways...

I am a current student in the MUPP program at UIC. I'm in my second year and just completed my third out of four semesters.

I'm fairly satisfied with the program thus far. It tends to be more policy oriented than anything so whether thats good or bad depends on what your looking for. If your primarily interested in urban design I'd advise looking elsewhere.

I of course have nothing to compare to so just keep that in mind.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Thank you for the info, I was curious as to whether it was policy based or what. What field are you looking to go into after graduation? I would like to be a city planner or work in the public sector as opposed to private; do you think UIC would be an appropriate school to go to for that career field choice?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by samraen View post
    Thank you for the info, I was curious as to whether it was policy based or what. What field are you looking to go into after graduation? I would like to be a city planner or work in the public sector as opposed to private; do you think UIC would be an appropriate school to go to for that career field choice?
    Right now I'm thinking public sector, local government. Yes, UIC would adequately prepare you for such a career.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 9:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Jun 2010, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 2:30 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Dec 2005, 9:10 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Aug 2001, 11:18 PM