Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Utah & living where you go to school

Registered
    Sep 2006

University of Utah & living where you go to school

Hi everyone,
    I'm one of many trying to figure out the grad school dilemma, and there are many schools I'm looking at that are pretty well known in the planning field (Harvard, Berkeley, UNC), but in the research I've done, I've also come across some other schools that are planning based but have the urban design specialization I'm looking for.

In short, the program description for University of Utah's Masters in City and Metropolitan Planning looks really interesting, but does anyone know anything about the program's reputation?

ALSO, in general with graduate planning programs, are you learning in a way focused towards the city you're in, so that I should only go to a school if its in a city I'm willing to live in?

Thanks!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I'll give you my opinion regarding the final question in your post.

If you go to grad school in an urban area (as I did), you will most likely use the city as your learning laboratory. If the program is focused on real world problem solving (as mine was), you will meet and work with planners, neighborhood advocates, housing experts, architects, engineers, etc., in the city. Your internship may be with a local planning agency or some other organization deeply rooted in the community. You will make contacts there. That's just the way it happens (or at least, that's the way it happened in my program).

That certainly does not obligate you to work there. You may, however, find opportunities for work there if you've developed a good rapport with the community. I was fortunate to be hired to work for the planning department in the town where I went to grad school, largely because of the contacts I made while in school. (I've since moved elsewhere.)

Best wishes.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    As a recent grad student, the city itself had as much to do with my choosing a program as the content/reputation of the program. The best advice I was given in choosing a grad school experience (and am now passing along) was to choose a program based in an area (city, suburban, rural) that you'll enjoy when you're not studying. The little free time you'll have, you'll really want to enjoy, and, for some, a lot of that happiness has to do with the community you surround yourself with. If you like getting out and about the community by bike, living in a car-dominant community might contribute to your stress level after that really crummy paper you just turned in. If you enjoy you're space and quiet-time, living downtown might not be best trade off for the time you'll save commuting.

You should also consider that, once you get your degree, does area offer many jobs for your field of interest or will you have to move again once your program is complete.

Just some things to consider.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    It is listed on the PAB website under accredited programs as
    Candidacy January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2010
    http://www.planningaccreditationboar...ndex.php?id=30
    If that matters ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. University of Utah
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 8:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Jul 2012, 12:06 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 1:57 PM
  4. Replies: 2