Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

Thread: The President Barack Obama Discussion Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Last night while leaving a meeting, I encountered an interesting discussion regarding President Obama. Based on the tone of the conversation, the only item for debate is why they were going to vote for him. Knowing that there have been several people on this website who have stated that they would vote for him, it raises similar and interesting questions regarding why.

What about Obama makes you want to vote for him? Is it possible to answer this question without bashing any other candidates?
    I believe his economic model is superior to that of Romney's. That's not bashing Romney, just that I think it is better.

His view in that we need to cut spending, raise revenue and reinvest resources all at the same time, is better than Romney's vision of cut spending and that will lead to job growth.

Some might argue this is a simplistic reason for choosing a candidate, but I don't expect my President to have specific details spelled out. I expect him to set a vision for the country, and I like Obama's better.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I honestly think Romney and Obama would govern pretty similarly if given the choice. However the reason why I'm voting for Obama is that it doesn't seem like he's being driven by party dogma like Romney is. I at least have a good idea of what I'm getting with Obama. I also think a second term president is actually in the position to make the hard choices that a first term president would not be.

I'm hesitant to even say I disagree with Romney's policies since I honestly have no idea what he truly believes anymore. I certainly disagree with many things he's proposed but I get the feeling that the bulk of those proposals are just blatant pandering and not what he'd truly like to see. I'd like to imagine that Mitt is a very pragmatic individual but that's hard to reconcile with his current rhetoric. It seems like Romney is trying to be something he's not but that's kind of a turn off when there's another moderate running who's being true to himself.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What about Obama makes you want to vote for him? Is it possible to answer this question without bashing any other candidates?
    My phrase has been for some time: BHO does not deserve reelection IMHO, but the country doesn't deserve any of the R candidates, as the party is in dire need of fixing and cannot govern nationally.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    My phrase has been for some time: BHO does not deserve reelection IMHO, but the country doesn't deserve any of the R candidates, as the party is in dire need of fixing and cannot govern nationally.
    That's the same way I feel. Obama does not deserve my vote. Romney is just an awful candidate and has a terribly irresponsible economic and foreign policy plan. Luckily I am in a non-swing state so I will vote for a third party candidate without affecting the election outcome. Go Gary Johnson!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    That's the same way I feel. Obama does not deserve my vote. Romney is just an awful candidate and has a terribly irresponsible economic and foreign policy plan. Luckily I am in a non-swing state so I will vote for a third party candidate without affecting the election outcome. Go Gary Johnson!
    I hear ya, and I'd hate to think what would happen with another Bush v Gore fustercluck with our current even-worse-option Supreme Court, so sadly that protest vote route scares me off.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2002
    A few thoughts:

1. Over 300 million Americans and the best we can do is Romney vs. Obama?

2. I voted for Obama, and while I didn't drink his kool-aid in 2008, I did smell it. I call Obama the most disappointing President of my lifetime because of the expections he came in with.

3. I'm thinking of writing my name in. It will mean as much as voting for a third party candidate, and I can tell my grandchildren that I got votes for President.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm sensing a lot of dissatisfaction lately with Obama from those on the left (and not just in this thread)- what's the major bone of contention with his Presidency among the 2008 Obama supporters? That he hasn't been liberal enough, or that he's caved too often to the GOP?

Obama will get my vote in 2012 because he kept his promise to end that god-awful, immoral war in Iraq. This, and the terrifying possibility of a return to neoconservative warmongering under Romney, a play-doh candidate who has proven time and time again that he has no true convictions of his own.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I'm sensing a lot of dissatisfaction lately with Obama from those on the left (and not just in this thread)- what's the major bone of contention with his Presidency among the 2008 Obama supporters? That he hasn't been liberal enough, or that he's caved too often to the GOP?

Obama will get my vote in 2012 because he kept his promise to end that god-awful, immoral war in Iraq. This, and the terrifying possibility of a return to neoconservative warmongering under Romney, a play-doh candidate who has proven time and time again that he has no true convictions of his own.
    Coming off a fairly convincing election in 2008, he failed to take his messages on health care, immigration, foreign policy, etc. directly to the American public. He instead let the Congressional GOP lead the way, which caused a massive backlash on these issues, and lead us to the 2010 election. He underestimated his need to further convince the public. Obama is a good speaker, but he lacks the ability to connect with the public like Bill Clinton.

Clinton would have used the 2008 election victory to completely dismantle the GOP, and not in a negative way. Simply by being honest and forthcoming about the vision for our country.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Coming off a fairly convincing election in 2008, he failed to take his messages on health care, immigration, foreign policy, etc. directly to the American public. He instead let the Congressional GOP lead the way, which caused a massive backlash on these issues, and lead us to the 2010 election. He underestimated his need to further convince the public. Obama is a good speaker, but he lacks the ability to connect with the public like Bill Clinton.

Clinton would have used the 2008 election victory to completely dismantle the GOP, and not in a negative way. Simply by being honest and forthcoming about the vision for our country.
    Fair points I guess, but you could have argued the same thing with Clinton after the 1992 election. Remember how bad the Dems got trounced in 1994?

Registered
    May 2005
    Fair points I guess, but you could have argued the same thing with Clinton after the 1992 election. Remember how bad the Dems got trounced in 1994?
    I suppose you're right, now that I think about it. Maybe it takes the 2nd term for a good President to truly emerge.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

It's tough to put my finger on... basically, it is a fundamental leadership issue for me. I appreciate having a thoughtful, introspective President, but he seems to lack an ability to be assertive. I'm not dissatisfied with Obama--I'm just kind of "meh" about him. There are a number of things he has really made no progress on that bother me tremendously:
    • Afghanistan--seriously, why the hell are we still here?
    • Complete failure to adequately address the criminal activity of banks following their clusterfuck of the economy (see also disappointment with his appointees & advisors, below)
    • Lack of action affirming protections for sexual orientation and recognize the legitimacy of those relationships
    • Lack of leadership in the healthcare law--he was WAY too deferential to the legislative process and it resulted in what I consider a classic piece of sausage legislation. It was an improvement, but I swear they tried to find the absolute most complex way to do it. I think his lack of leadership contributed to that.
    • Disappointment with a number of his appointments & selection of advisors (I have a personal disdain for HUD in particular under Obama based on my experiences)
    • Inability to get his party behind him--I look at his first two years as a blown opportunity because he could not get the party to back him in the legislature. A President should be able to secure backing in most cases. This might be the single item that makes me the most angry. It isn't entirely his fault (they couldn't even get a damn budget passed), but I think it does demonstrate a leadership issue that allowed the extreme GOP to gain greater traction.

None of those are things that would make me say "no, I won't vote for him," but they are enough for me to be willing to look for other options. I knew I wasn't electing my own personal Jesus in 2008, but I think a lot of folks viewed Obama that way.

As it stands, it would be an ice-cold day in hell for me to vote for Romney.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 21 Sep 2012 at 12:08 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

I'm fine with him letting them lead, but he failed to dial it back quickly enough when it became clear the GOP was going to obstruct the uppity Kenyan at every turn, nor did he make them pay for harming the country. Also there should be some bankers in jail.

And I can see Hillary winning in 2016, but am afraid of how bad the foamers will be by then and not sure I want to hear every AM radio in the country screaming 'Hitlery!!!' Can't see why she would either.
    -------

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I'm fine with him letting them lead, but he failed to dial it back quickly enough when it became clear the GOP was going to obstruct the uppity Kenyan at every turn, nor did he make them pay for harming the country. Also there should be some bankers in jail.

And I can see Hillary winning in 2016, but am afraid of how bad the foamers will be by then and not sure I want to hear every AM radio in the country screaming 'Hitlery!!!' Can't see why she would either.
    I think she will be like 70 or something in 2016. I just don't see it happening.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I think she will be like 70 or something in 2016. I just don't see it happening.
    Huntsman / Bloomberg 2016.

Campaign Slogan:
    "Two rich guys who are *fairly* reasonable".
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 9:31 PM
  2. Good Luck President Obama
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Nov 2008, 5:58 PM
  3. Replies: 71
    Last post: 20 May 2008, 10:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7